PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
I have 2 pipes that were my "vacation pipes" during my first three deployments. Both now have rather loose stem-to-bowl fits. What is a good way to fix this? Other than shipping the pipes to have them repaired professionally? I have heard of using bees wax but I don't know if that really works or not.

Below is a picture of the offending pipes(the pic was taken for a shooting buddy who is just starting to get in pipe smoking).

2010-10-14_15-34-19_90.jpg

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
If one of your female colleagues has some nail polish, ask if you can borrow it. Paint the tenon, allow it to dry before putting it back though.
Pink nail varnish is not going to look to good at first but it should be hidden enough when put back into the pipe.
This is only a temporary measure because it will eventually crack off, but just repaint again and get it fixed when your back in the world.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Another fix that takes a bit of patience and skill is to boil a small pot of water and hold the tenon in the boiling water (pliers or tongs will work)for a few minutes. After taking the stem out of the water gently push the stem against a hard surface for 10 seconds and let the stem cool and dry. Then try the fit. It may take a second or third effort but once you get the hang of it you'll be good to go.

I've done this with GBD's and even my Dunhill Shell with good results. The stem will probably need some polishing. Needless to say, this method is for vulanite stems only.

briarbrian

Lurker
Mar 26, 2010
Fort Gratiot MI
I usaully just take the stem out, light a lighter and wave it under the tenon and turn the stem while doing this to heat the tenon only.
Then after it is heated just run it under cool water. Dry the stem and it will fit like it did when it was new. (make sure it is completely cooled by the water).
For some reason Vulcanite/Ebonite has a sort of memory. When it is reheated it will expand back up to its original size and then when cooled will stay that way. It doesnt work too well with Acrylic stem or Delrin either.
This works fast and has worked for me for years now.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I use bee's wax. Just rub some on the tenon all the way around, insert it in the pipe and smoke it. The heat will melt the wax and it will be pulled into the wood, snugging the stem up nicely.

The nail polish method works too. Instead of pink, I'd use clear. If you decide to go that route, make sure the polish is completely dry before reinserting the stem. If it isn't, It will glue itself in and you will never get it back out without breaking the tenon.

The methods using heat and pressure work also. I don't like them because if you don't put the pressure on correctly, the stem will rock in the mortice. Another solution using heat is to obtain the stem expanding kit. Although I've not tried it, an inexpensive way to do the same thing is use a nail to expand the tenon after heating.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I won A wally frank on ebay last sunday, got here yesterday with A loose stem, rubbed some beeswax on the tenon and it tightened right up, good fix

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
These are great suggestions. I will try heating the tenon first thing in the morning. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have this problem but always could. Thank you for the good fixes. These are good to know.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Sometimes it´s just the mortise that has expanded rather than that the tenon has shrunken. Put the tea kettle on and hold the mortise into the steam. The mortise should swell slightly and you have a tigth fit again. Bees wax on the tenon is a very fgood and non invasive method too. Worked on my cobs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.