PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So my P-Lip Diplomat has an issue of the shank coming loose. Would you guys know the recommended way of reattaching it. I'm suspicious of using superglue from the chemicals, but is there an alternative?

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Elmer's isn't shipped here unfortunately, just wondering if there's any chemicals I should avoid in looking for an alternative?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't know where you are, but any brand of wood glue will work. Surely that is available somewhere. If your concerned about any chemical issues, google MSDS sheet on product.

Mar 1, 2014
Is it loose or in two pieces?

I had one separate while heating it up (cooking out nasty smells after leaving dottle in the bottom) and I just stuck it back together nice and snug and it holds well enough.

If it's fully separated I would just moisten the shank and stick it back in.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
If you can find a generic white glue or yellow glue, it'll be the same thing. Elmer's is a PVA glue. So, Titebond III or other similar wood/carpenter's glues are also matches. If it says PVA or polyvinyl acetate on the bottle then you're good to go.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Chuck that sucker and get a new one...or two!! Do you have any Briar pipes? Time to put out or save for one??
If you have the fixing bug, then yes, any wood glue will do just fine.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Gorilla Glue is non-toxic. Wet surfaces, use very very little as it expands. It will never ever come apart.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, I've got a few briars and meers, just like having this one in my rotation too. And yeah, from Australia here. My main concern with the chemicals was because its so close to the chamber that I was concerned.
Thanks for the advice guys..

davek

Mar 20, 2014
You could clean the stem (of any pipe really) and use that black gunk to sparingly coat the stem and jam it back in. After a few bowls it should set pretty tightly.

Sep 26, 2014
I had a "reject" corncob that I just put packing tape on the stem and then put it into the shank and it made the stem fit nice. I could still take the stem out and clean it. It was my cheap hiking pipe so I didn't worry too much but it did work. Love all these ideas!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
If you have a bunch of cobs, I would keep a small bottle of Elmer's all purpose glue or wood glue on hand. Not only can it easily fix a loose shank but you can mix it with a bit of wood shavings, pencil shavings minus the lead, sawdust, or termite dust and use it to fill kernel pits. Or your pipe can go with the Alfred E. Neuman look.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
well, off topic, but...related. I have a Morgan cob that has a soft bottom and I've burned the projection of wood into the bowl. (shank)...I love this little unfinished corn cob, and I want to 'restore' it.

I've gone and got some wood glue, and used it on another pipe to re-install a shank, so, that's ready for a re-install of the morgan's shank. What I need to do is build the bottom with something. I've read about 'pipe mud' made with cigar ash...and that's not out of the running...I also thought...why not mix up some plaster of paris and coat the bottom with that?

Anybody?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Missouri Meerschaum uses it to coat their pipes I believe. Our resident MM insider will hopefully shed some light on this.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't consider my cobs "disposable," unless they'd get run over by a truck. I'd use the wood glue as recommended. The wear on cobs is part of their aura.

Status
Not open for further replies.