PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just received an eBay purchase from a seller who knows nothing about pipes (it’s a charity resale shop) so they didn’t think to mention the fact that the acrylic stem on the early Caminetto I just bought is so loose that it will turn on its own with the smallest movement of the pipe.

I know that gentle heat will quickly and easily fix this issue with vulcanite stems. But after a cautious trial, I can say with certainty that heat is not the answer for acrylic.

Is there a quick/easy solution for acrylic? Or do I need to have someone fit a replacement tenon?

One note, which may or may not be relevant: When inserting the tenon into the shank, it is initially a very solid fit. It’s only when you push the tenon in for the last 16th of an inch or so that it becomes very loose.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
rm depends on why the stem is loose. It could be from lack of use the briar has dried out and after a few smokes it will return to correct. Acrylic / Lucite tends not to "shrink", so to speak.

Beeswax should be enough to get it to grip while you smoke the pipe a few times to see if it's the briar drying out that is the issue.

You can also "swell" the mortise by putting a damp Q - Tip in the mortise and leave it for an hour or so. Let the excess water evaporate and carefully and gently try and re insert the stem. If it's too tight ... back the stem off and allow the mortise more time to dry out.

Personally I lean towards least intrusive methods first and go from there. YMMV

Mike

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Put some beeswax on the tenon and smoke it few times. If that doesn't work you'll need a replacement tenon.

Not necessarily.

In theory, anyway.

It is possible to coat the inside of the mortise with glue, let it dry, then get the mortise back into shape with a chucking reamer.

The catch being that chucking reamers are a $pendy $pecialty tool, and many are needed in small steps (think drill bit set).

It works like a champ. Stabilizes the mortise going forward, in fact.

WARNING --- Do not go smearing glue in the mortise and expect a good outcome if you do not have the proper tools to "tune" the fit afterward.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Not necessarily.

In theory, anyway.

It is possible to coat the inside of the mortise with glue, let it dry, then get the mortise back into shape with a chucking reamer.

The catch being that chucking reamers are a $pendy $pecialty tool, and many are needed in small steps (think drill bit set).

It works like a champ. Stabilizes the mortise going forward, in fact.

WARNING --- Do not go smearing glue in the mortise and expect a good outcome if you do not have the proper tools to "tune" the fit afterward.
If its a straight (acrylic) bit you can also put a coat of CA on the tenon and turn/polish back to size between centers on a lathe. But thats even spendier...

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I just received an eBay purchase from a seller who knows nothing about pipes (it’s a charity resale shop) so they didn’t think to mention the fact that the acrylic stem on the early Caminetto I just bought is so loose that it will turn on its own with the smallest movement of the pipe.

I know that gentle heat will quickly and easily fix this issue with vulcanite stems. But after a cautious trial, I can say with certainty that heat is not the answer for acrylic.

Is there a quick/easy solution for acrylic? Or do I need to have someone fit a replacement tenon?

One note, which may or may not be relevant: When inserting the tenon into the shank, it is initially a very solid fit. It’s only when you push the tenon in for the last 16th of an inch or so that it becomes very loose.
I have several older Caminettos and the only one I got as an estate had the exact same symptom. To an extent it can be corrected by repeated smokes that will swell the mortise slightly. In the meantime, I put a coat of clear nail polish on the tenon and let it dry overnight.

Reactions: rmbittner

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Great to know that there are a number of ways to at least attempt a correction. Much appreciated, everyone!

It would be great if the solution ended up being as simple as smoking the pipe!

Reactions: Browny

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
I've put a thin coat of clear nail polish around the stem and that worked wonderfully. (Let completely dry before reattaching)