PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nptrucker

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
I am a relatively new pipe smoker and have discovered I love va/pers. The only one I have is C&D Bayou Mourning which I love.
Looking for suggestions on good va/pers that are available in bulk. Don't have the money for Tinned tobacco.

Thanks for any sugesstions.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Bayou Morning is a great one but it’s gonna be pretty different than most other VaPers.

The best bulk recommendations are probably gonna be Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake by Stokkebye.

I highly recommend Match Victorian by Sutliff. I was very surprised at how tasty that one is! Deliciously funky!

Nptrucker

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
Thanks guys, I did try Bullseye flake a while back but did not detect much perique. Maybe just my inexperience.
I will try the others.

Reactions: canucklehead

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
St. James Flake from Kendal is a cracking VaPer that can be bought in 50g tins or in 250g bulk boxes.

An American blend called Low Country Waccamaw is one of the best VaPers I ever tried but not sure if it's sold in bulk.

Regards,

Jay.?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Escudo is one of the grand old Va/Per blends and was a favorite of fish'n'banjo, a late great Forums member. Not everyone loves Escudo, and it costs a few dollars more than some tins of Va/Per, but it would give you a point of comparison. I haven't tried it because I sent my tin to fish' as a thank you for a Meer he sent me (my first and only, and regularly smoked) but I'll catch up with it one of these days. If you like a little dark-fired with your Va/Per, I found Russ O.'s Fire Storm a good smoke, lively and refined.

Reactions: Elric

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
St. James in a 250 grams (8.8 ounces) box is $30.75 - $40.00 when you can find it in stock.

Dunhill Elizabethan Match is now named Victoria Match. I recommend that, D&R A.P. Rimboche, A.B. Rimboche, and S.J. Rimboche. A pound bag of any of these are under $30.00, and are a great value for your money.

I also recommend Anniversary Kake, Louisiana Red, and Virginia Spice, which has a touch of cigar if that interests you.

Luxury Bullseye Flake needs a few years before it comes into its own as Stokkebye tends to use young Va.s in their blends. I only recommend it if you age it before smoking it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Thanks guys, I did try Bullseye flake a while back but did not detect much perique. Maybe just my inexperience.
I will try the others.

Bullseye flake isn't terribly good fresh but many people say it's up there with Davidoff Flake Medallions once it's been jarred and aged for a year or two. If you're into cellaring that might work for you; however, if you want instant gratification there are better blends to go for, like Match Victorian

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I recommend Peterson Elizabethan Mixture. I had times, when I smoked nothing else for weeks. You might like it, as it is also a blend strong in nicotine, but more balanced tastewise than Bayou Morning.

Reactions: Pipelady20
Mar 29, 2016
STG Escudo Navy De Luxe.
Solani 633: Virginia Flake with Perique.
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake and Plug.
J. F. Germain & Son Royal Jersey Perique Mixture.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
Not a Vaper but if your looking for spicy Perique, some strength, and a cheap smoke, D&R Picayune ticks all the boxes.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’ll add one more rec for Sutliff Match Victoria (formerly Elizabethan Match). Not only is it a bulk that can be had for less than $30 per pound and is almost always available, its one my favorite ribbon cut VaPers on the market today at any price.

I’ve got 9 pounds jarred up and if it ever goes away I’ll feel like an idiot for not cellaring more.