PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Ever walk into a Starbucks, ask for a cup of coffee and have the cashier stare blankly at you before launching into a litany of options? Half soy latte, full grande maciado with amaretto cream, etc, but all you really want is just a simple, honest cup o' joe?
Anyone have any pipeweed like that to recommend? Too many options are driving my OCD up the wall. hehe Need to get back to basics, me thinks. Thanks!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A sampler pack from tobacconistas and micro-blenders would seem to be the best bet. Or try some of the time-honored high profile brands.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I agree that a sampler would be the best way to go. But if your trying to go for some really basic blends, I would have to go with the following:
Captain Black

Prince Albert

Carter Hall

Sir Walter Raleigh
I don't think you can get more basic than those.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks, folks!
Its funny that Bob should mention those brands. It was the Captain Black review on the front page that got me to thinking about all of this. I've honestly never tried any of those blends. Not sure how I missed 'em. Time to go back to the beginning. =) Merry Christmas, y'all.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I used to keep track of what blends I smoked, and what I thought of them. If I liked them or not, etc.

I got up to over 200 and quit keeping track. Unfortunately I was listing them in the back of Richard Hacker's The Ultimate Pipe Book, autographed first edition.

I loaned the book out, and never got it back. I have since tried many others, and have more or less settled on four that I keep going back to.

1- Middleton's Cherry Blend- aromatic

2- Middleton's Walnut- all day smoke

3- Esoterica's Tilbury- virginia

4- S. Gawith's Perfection- english

Status
Not open for further replies.