SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
I've been using Gawith Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye to deepen some Aromatics, but after reading the description for Semois I wonder if there aren't Burley blends that could do just as well, or maybe someone other than Gawith Hoggarth has a well balanced Dark Fired Kentucky blend that leans more "dirty" (not spicy) than Dark Bird's Eye.

Suggestions?

Reactions: ofafeather
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I haven’t found much that is earthier than Gawith stuff. Even a lot of their Virginia blends are quite earthy, especially the ropes. The GH sweet twists have an earthy character to them, and SG Brown #4 definitely is earthy for a Virginia. Kendal Dark is a great blend for earthy notes as well.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Most of your basic blender's burleys just aren't going to have the strength you're wanting. 5 Brothers is a go to for me, as well as PS Dark Fired. Stokkebye's Dark Fired is lightly cased to take some of the edge off, but it still has some strength, more so than just a blender's burley. But, PS DF is sold intermittently. It is not always on teh market. When I do see it is available, I always pick up a few pounds just for my own blending, and it smokes great just by itself.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Most of your basic blender's burleys just aren't going to have the strength you're wanting. 5 Brothers is a go to for me, as well as PS Dark Fired. Stokkebye's Dark Fired is lightly cased to take some of the edge off, but it still has some strength, more so than just a blender's burley. But, PS DF is sold intermittently. It is not always on teh market. When I do see it is available, I always pick up a few pounds just for my own blending, and it smokes great just by itself.
Five Brothers is a great one, for blending or straight. Though I haven’t ever thought of it as being very “earthy.” I get more flavors like bread and toasted nuts from it, but all these terms are vague and subjective anyhow. Often bordering on the edge of downright silliness, but it’s hard to describe tastes any other way I suppose.

Mississippi Mud is pretty earthy
You gonna mixt Mississippi Mud with an aromatic, and will that really punch up the nicotine?
Solani Aged Boring Flake. Sorry, meant Aged Burley Flake. Dry it to a crisp, enjoy your mouthfull of soil ;)
You too, are you blending with burley flakes? ha ha. And, I agree, for a blend that gets talked about a lot on here it is about the most boring tobacco in existence. If it were more widely available, no one would want it at all. I think of it as the Carter Hall for those who like to hunt for unobtainiums.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
One of the few I don't dry to a crisp for that reason. I like the stuff, but I like current Escudo, too, so what the hell do I know?
I find that if not dried to a crisp it gives me next to no taste, or worse, some weird liquorice taste I don't care for. Incredibly hyped tobacco that didn't deliver for me. Put me off trying MacBaren's HH Burley Flake too.