PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WaffleStomper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2024
Central Indiana
Hey all, I was hoping to narrow down some possible choices in my search for my grandfathers pipe tobacco. As a child, I remember spending time with my grandfather when he would be sitting in his old wing chair smoking a pipe. Short story long…. In the past 30 years, I’ve only encountered the tobacco smell of his tobacco twice. The second time perhaps about 4 months ago. Which ultimately set me on to my own pipe smoking. So I’m asking, perhaps some of the more “seasoned” pipe smokers here, to help narrow down the possibilities. It would’ve been a tobacco that would have been readily available at the local drug store/ department store of the time (40 yes ago) and in the Elkhart area of Indiana. The pipe tobacco, as I remember it, it was an aromatic which had a fairly strong sweet odor of cherry. So far I know it not Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish or Cherry Liqour. I would be grateful for any help in finding what he smoked. I’d like to try to get at least one pouch to try for myself. At least be able to revel in those old memories of days long past.

Thank you

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It wasn't a common habit to store tobaccos 40 or more years ago. But now and then stuff pops up for sale. People die or other things happen that let things sit around.

Reactions: TheWhale13

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
It could have been Middleton's Cherry Blend, but that's out of production at this point. You'll probably have to experiment with current offerings to see which comes closest. Good luck!

Middleton’s Cherry is what immediately came to mind for me too.

Check out Mac Baren 7 Seas Red Blend

Forum Middleton Cherry aficionado @Skippy B. Coyote reports it’s a dead ringer for the old Middleton Cherry aroma.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I actually made note of Skippy’s post because Middleton’s Cherry is what my own grandfather smoked.

Wishing you good luck in your search.