Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
Hi everyone,
I was hoping some of you could clue me in to one or more tobacco shops in the D.C. area. Obviously my preference is for something that's focused on pipes. I'm specifically moving to Falls Church, VA., so anything in that area would be particularly helpful.
Thanks all,

Abe

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Hey Abe, well, In the city, there are 3 shops which are good but none of them really focused on pipes, more cigars (which seems to be more the norm). W Curtis Draper's has been my B&M since I moved to the city 12 years ago. I'm more a cigar smoker so its a great place for me. That being said, they do have a whole section of the shop dedicated to pipes and tobacco, actually one of their house blends is one thats in my rotation. They guys there are extremely friendly especially for a downtown shop (its right across the street from the treasury building). Selection wise, I"d say its good but not great i.e. Iwan Ries. They definitely do more in cigar sales than pipes/tobacco which is the same with the other 2 city shops-Georgetown tobacco and Signature cigars. All great shops, and all have comfortable chairs where you can smoke, depending on where you are in the city.
If you're moving to Falls Church, there is an Old Virginia Tobacco company at Seven Corners in Falls Church, again, mostly dedicated to cigars but they do have a smattering of pipes and tobacco. There is also JB Hayes in the Fair Oaks mall in Fairfax which has a little corner with pipe tobacco and some pipes on one end of the shop. Hayes is small and no seated smoking area whereas there are a few seats in OVTC.
For the most part, I pickup my accessories from my B&M and the house tobacco I mentioned earlier, but most of my tobacco comes from 4noggins and pipesandcigars. Definitely looking to take a road trip to Boswells soon as it looks like its only about an hour and a half from DC. G1

abram35

Lurker
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, man, that's a lot of good and helpful info. I'll probably check them all out in search of one that fits. Thanks again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
JB Hayes in Fair Oaks Mall is wonderful. It is a tiny place, but packed with pipes & tobacco blends, shop and tins. The one in Winchester is also very good, lots of estate pipes for sale, if you want to go out to the country for a drive (downtown Winchester is really nice).

http://www.hayestobacconist.com/
John Crouch in Old Towne Alexandria looks good, but I've not yet been in the store. You'll want to go to Old Towne anyway, good restaurants, etc.

http://www.johncrouchtobacco.com/
If you head up to Boswells one Saturday, etc, give me a shout, you'll pass right by my place. If the weather is good, we can ride up in the MGB. Boswells is about 25 minutes past my home in Hagerstown and really a nice place.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Good thread I will be in Fort Washington and Waldorf MD. for 3 weeks starting on the 12th I was wondering about shops in the area.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Charles, I used to live in Waldorf. Whatcha headed in for? My wife also worked in Fort Washington. Lots of friends that are still out that way. I'm not much help finding shops as I didn't smoke a pipe when I lived there.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I going to see some family. My daughter flew out to see my mom so I will fly out to see them both. I have not see my daughter in 2 years because of work and lack of cash to fly or drive to Oklahoma to see her.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, I finally had a chance to get to the John Crouch shop on King Street in Old Towne Alexandria. I was a little disappointed. The clerk was very friendly, but didn't seem to know a lot about tobacco blends (but he was mixing/adding to the store jars...). They had maybe a dozen tins, no Orlik Golden Sliced, but I did pick up a tin of Escudo. 90% of the store jars were aromatics, not my cup of tea. The place doubles as a Scottish store, which is kind of interesting. No lounge to smoke in. The cigar humidor room looked large, I'm not into cigars so I didn't examine what he had to offer. There was a rack of H.I.S. pipes on the wall and some really overpriced estates in poor shape in the glass display ($350 for a pretty worn Dunhill Cumberland). I didn't try to negotiate, so who knows. It will due for a quick tin pick up, but the John B. Haynes shop at Fair Oaks is FAR superior and much better stocked.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Georgetown Tobacco is an excellent shop. Everytime I am in the area I make a stop. They have some of me favorite blends and plenty of pipes in stock. :puffpipe:

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Hey Al, isn't Crouch weird? I haven't been there in a while but the front was such a mess that I was afraid to go to the humidor in the back. You're right in that they have a lot of cigars but they're in such mis-array that its a pain just to try to find anything. I left there shaking my head and went back to my B&M Drapers. G1

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
Its at 699 15th St NW, right across the street from the US Treasury Bldg. They're much heavier in cigars but they do have a nice sect for pipes, though their selection of tins is fairly small. You can see pics on their website I think. the pipe section is to the left when you walk into the store. G1

Status
Not open for further replies.