PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That was what I was also asking about. Where does one find a butane insert that fits the zippo case? I was reading there is one called Thunderbird so I looked on the amazon page. It sounded as though some had trouble getting that insert into the zippo case. I wondered if anyone knew what insert for sure would fit. Or if someone has used that Thunderbird and fit it into the standard zippo lighter case? I collecEd some zippo lighters years back and have a cool,one I would like to use with the type of insert u r talking about. Just not sure if it will fit. Thanks for your time.
zippo literally sells ones they make on their website. I wouldn't see any reason to bother with anything else. I don't remember the price which tells me it's nothing insane either way as in not oh my god that better do more then make fire for that price, or must be a piece of shit if they can make a profit off that little bitty price tag.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That was what I was also asking about. Where does one find a butane insert that fits the zippo case? I was reading there is one called Thunderbird so I looked on the amazon page. It sounded as though some had trouble getting that insert into the zippo case. I wondered if anyone knew what insert for sure would fit. Or if someone has used that Thunderbird and fit it into the standard zippo lighter case? I collecEd some zippo lighters years back and have a cool,one I would like to use with the type of insert u r talking about. Just not sure if it will fit. Thanks for your time.
I had to shave the thin rails on the sides of the Thunderbird insert to fit in a Zippo sleeve, otherwise it'll be too snug to get out easily. I tend not to use it much because you have to to hold and depress the button to keep the flame going and it can get hot and uncomfortable for your thumb. I much prefer my IM Corona Old Boy as a pipe lighter, but, it's useless in the wind.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I picked up the new Bic candle lighter at my local smokeshop and its great especially while driving. Its a standard bic but has a two inch or so tube that comes up from lighter. It was $2.99 in various colors.... if you want fancy i believe they sell the Martha Stewart design online. ($14.99 for 4) But ... it is perfect for pipes because you place the tip in the bowl to avoid burning the rim. If you want classic fancy get the brass Zippo with the pipe logo on the side. I have an old Colibri butane pen type pipe lighter but it requires refilling to often ... and now obsolete with the new Bic. Also Zippo made a candle lighter as well but its big and heavy ... I believe Victronox Swiss Army used to sell it at their store.

Reactions: Merton

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I picked up the new Bic candle lighter at my local smokeshop and its great especially while driving. Its a standard bic but has a two inch or so tube that comes up from lighter. It was $2.99 in various colors.... if you want fancy i believe they sell the Martha Stewart design online. ($14.99 for 4) But ... it is perfect for pipes because you place the tip in the bowl to avoid burning the rim. << Snipped bits out >>
You really don't (at least I don't!) want to point or force flame into the chamber: That over ignites the tobacco, and doesn't assure no rim lava. (few actually burn or char the rim, as char means the wood is damaged, and cleaning it doesn't restore it.)

Simply hold the flame above the rim and draw the flame towards the tobacco. It's easy to do with an Old Boy, BiC, etc. Even Zippo, which I don't use except in a high breeze. Don't like the odor.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You really don't (at least I don't!) want to point or force flame into the chamber: That over ignites the tobacco, and doesn't assure no rim lava. (few actually burn or char the rim, as char means the wood is damaged, and cleaning it doesn't restore it.)

Simply hold the flame above the rim and draw the flame towards the tobacco. It's easy to do with an Old Boy, BiC, etc. Even Zippo, which I don't use except in a high breeze. Don't like the odor.
I agree with and I do not do that. Perhaps I should have been clearer ... the extension on the new Bic lighter allows you to place the flame just above center over the tobacco and just below the rim of the pipe. It is not one of those jet flames and is smaller than a match flame. The amount of fire drawn in is up to you and how much you draw. I just like it because it is ideal for lighting just the tobacco and not setting the world on fire. Its also convenient for one hand operation ... like while driving and holding a coffee in the other hand and juggling a big map on the highway during rush hour ! ;):eek: (I'm exaggerating and kidding here to make a point regarding simplicity !) :coffee::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, we're talking the same principles of lighting. For me, the extra barrel (2"?) makes the car lighting on the road more difficult.

Aesthetics: I just don't like the looks, so wouldn't buy an inferior product that doesn't look right- to me.

Begs the question: Would I buy an inferior product because its aesthetics were tops? I am sure I have, but something I try not to do.

Reactions: JOHN72

BobbyD

Lurker
Feb 5, 2022
Rockland County, NY
zippo literally sells ones they make on their website. I wouldn't see any reason to bother with anything else. I don't remember the price which tells me it's nothing insane either way as in not oh my god that better do more then make fire for that price, or must be a piece of shit if they can make a profit off that little bitty price tag.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the zippo branded butane inserts seem to only offer the torch configuration unfortunately. Thunderbird has the standard and pipe style inserts but I haven't heard great things about the quality.

• Sad
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the zippo branded butane inserts seem to only offer the torch configuration unfortunately. Thunderbird has the standard and pipe style inserts but I haven't heard great things about the quality.
I thought they had regular ones. I guess I'll go look. Yeah you're right they have an arc lighter which is good for starting fires and smoking cigs. No idea if it would be any good for a pipe. Kind of disappointing honestly.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
So, we're talking the same principles of lighting. For me, the extra barrel (2"?) makes the car lighting on the road more difficult.

Aesthetics: I just don't like the looks, so wouldn't buy an inferior product that doesn't look right- to me.

Begs the question: Would I buy an inferior product because its aesthetics were tops? I am sure I have, but something I try not to do.
I suspect we agree on many points in life but express them in different ways. I consider disposable lighters in the same category as those white book matches they have at gas stations; of the two I prefer a lighter and of the lighters I like using this new one and would consider another when done. Unfortunately my other duties cause me to have to save time anywhere possible. I have an NOS Brass Zippo pipe lighter but its heavier and requires refilling and frankly its now much more expensive and I don't want to lose it rushing around. As for Aesthetics: It took me far too long time to gain the wisdom to search for tried and true quality first rather than the latest hot thing (unintended pun?) and I find myself disposing of a lot of, frankly, crap. I find simple and well built to last far more beautiful now than guilded Lillies. P.S. I also have a box of the latest Diamond wood matches but the flare up is so great I thought I might lose my eyesight ! It all comes down to: I prefer the smaller flame of this new lighter and it hasn't blown up in my hand or burned me yet and its too big to slide out of the cup holder tray.
Thanks and best wishes.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I like my two clippers. They are cheap and refillable. they need different flints.
I don't own and haven't used a Clipper. However, I saw a refillable, disposable Clipper display (similar to a Bic display) at the gas station yesterday and figured I'd share.

Personally, I prefer a Bic. Simple, convenient, reliable, no fuss, and easy to carry. The Bic E-Z line is great for pipes (and funny marketing with Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg) but Crocs were able to make the same design cheaper.

I own two Zippos, one regular and one with a pipe insert). They don't get enough love from me since filling them is more of a chore. How did the veterans fill them overseas?

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.