Looking and looking but no pipe available...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odanrot

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Thanks for all the fantastic info and leads. Really appreciate it.
Now the problem is with so many really good pipemakers....how do I keep from going broke????
Since all of you were so kind, I'll fill you in on what I'm purchasing.
Sasquatch has been great and I am buying a big unique bent from him. I'll post a pic when I get it. He's a great communicator and I love his work.
I also ordered a pipe that will come in late summer from Andrew Marks. Really like his approach and I listened to both his interviews on the Pipes Magazine podcast. Called him up and had a great conversation. He has one more bag of briar blocks that he purchased 40 years ago and when they're gone, he probably won't be making any more.
Also contacted Michael Parks and JT Cooke. These have a much longer order time so I'm deciding which to get.
My goal is to get about 5 artisan American made pipes. I think that will keep me from wanting more for a while but I'm just not sure. :)
I also got some good leads on some estate pipes and will be perusing those to find that "great deal".
Anyway...thanks again.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome to the forums.

So, you're a piper now for all of what? 5 weeks? Pretty amazing beginning.

You MUST have been lurking for longer? I wish I had either the disposable income or the 'best of everything' mindset or both to go out and commission two pipes right away and have already communicated with two of the most sought after makers in North America. No one has mentioned Lee Von Erck? Nachwalter?

That you've chosen to get a pipe from Andrew Marks speaks is to me an indication of awareness.

OR, that Andy is one of the better marketers in pipe making. I love that story about his lifetime supply of briar.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Scottie Piersel would also be a great pipe. The one she made me has some of the best stem work In Have seen and smokes like a champ.

odanrot

Lurker
Jun 15, 2016
Hey Newbroom,
Yep....new to pipes. Only smoked them for about 5 weeks. Had been an off/on cigar smoker and finally a friend of mine convinced me to buy a pipe. I've learned from other hobbies that sometimes if you go real cheap you'll get a real cheap experience, so I bought a Savinelli that smokes real nice. After trying it, I've barely touched the cigars in my humidor (including the ones I just brought back from Cuba...but that's another story). Now on to a couple of handmade North American pipes. And then I'll stop buying. Maybe. I'm already thinking of commissioning one from Sasquatch as my next one.
Not a ton of disposable income, but I really enjoy and appreciate great hand-made items. I'm probably already spending more than I should, but hey...I just turned 50 and that's my excuse.
I still find it hard to believe I'm 50.
I was amazed at how much information is on this forum to help someone jump in with both feet and identify the good makers and make a pretty informed decision. There's this whole pipe world that has been going on without me!
I also want to point out how incredible it is to get in touch with really world-class artisans and how easy it is to communicate with them. They seem like such a nice, tight knit community and I think they contribute mightily to the enjoyment so many of you have written about.
All right....time to go light up a bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.