PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2019
I'm new to pipe smoking
I've bought a pouch of Captain Black Gold last month, to smoke once in a week. Well, as you can guess, I loved the taste when it was new but now it's annoying.
I've read some threads on this forum, and saw that many members suggest buying a tin instead of a pouch. But I consume very little amounts, and Captain Black tins are too huge (12 oz) and I know I would never finish them.
So, is there any way to store tobacco in small scales for a long time?

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe

These are, what I use for storage. They come in different sizes and I try to take ones, that do not leave too much emty space.

I rarely have to rehydrate any tobacco, but when I do, I put the tobacco in a strainer and hold it over boiling water for just a few seconds.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because many blends come quite moist and may smoke nicely, you may think dryer tobacco has had it. In most cases, it's not so. The jars are highly recommended by one and all, and hydrating is fine if you like a more moist tobacco, but it is not necessary for a good smoke in most cases. Some blends are improved by letting them dry outside the jar before smoking, for a better light and more even burn.

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
Lately I have been smoking Captain Black in the pouch. Sometimes the tobacco is really dry even though the pouch is wrapped. To fix the problem, this is what I do. I bought a ceramic pineapple at a gift shop. I put the tobacco in the base. Then I take a paper towel an cut it to the size of the inside of the lid. I get it wet under the cold water tap and squeeze out any excess. I just stick it to the underside of the lid. It will say there with no problem. I put the lid on and just check it every day. It never takes longer than 3 days. Most of the time it only takes 2. Try it, it works.

Jef

Reactions: GandaulfTheGrey
Nov 2, 2019
Sweden
I'm new to pipe smoking
I've bought a pouch of Captain Black Gold last month, to smoke once in a week. Well, as you can guess, I loved the taste when it was new but now it's annoying.
I've read some threads on this forum, and saw that many members suggest buying a tin instead of a pouch. But I consume very little amounts, and Captain Black tins are too huge (12 oz) and I know I would never finish them.
So, is there any way to store tobacco in small scales for a long time?

puffy That sounds a lot like the way I have it too.
Another thing is that one like to try different blends, but don't want them to get spoiled.

Now, I haven't read or heard about any U.S. pipe smokers doing this since the main way seem to be mason-jars or other glass jars of that type for storage.

I read a while back that it is possible to vacuum-pack pipe-tobacco for longer term storage using one of those vac-and-seal kitchen machines.

So when I open up a new 50gram tin I divide the content into 3'rds. One third stays in the tin for current use, the other two piles i put in a small bag each and do a vac-n-seal on after I write content and date on the bag.
So far I have not stored them in the freezer but I have read that would increase the storage capabilities substantially.

Some of you experienced smokers may please comment on this.

I do guess that it won't be 'cellaring' the tobacco as just preserving it, and the bags used are food-grade quality.

Now the main reason I do this is mostly because I don't want the tobacco to go 'bad' before I've smoked it, and considering that the price for ONE 50gram tin of pipe tobacco here in Sweden averages about $27 you might understand why.

I do get quite jealous of your U.S. prices and blends! ?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019
Sweden
I'd say no on freezer, no on vacuum packing. The bags you use are key: they need to be not just water impervious, but air as well. Double and triple bagging helps substantially.

Ball, Mason, Kerr and Kilmer all make suitable storage jars in many sizes.

Hm, ok!
Any particular reason to not vacuum pack it?
My thought would be that the less air in contact with the tobacco would be beneficial, and if you don't plan on using it for a while?
And the tins I've bought have all been under vacuum seal, so that's why I'm curious? ?

Btw, those bags are both water and air tight when heat-sealed, you can even boil and microwave them (100microns thick). We use them quite often for freeze storing wild game meat.

Last edited:

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
You can't go wrong with Ball jars, I'd say buy one or two packs in different sizes. As you buy more and more tobacco you're going to need different size jars and it's best to have some on hand, than buying at the last minute and not find the ones you're looking for. I get mine at the grocery store & wal-mart. Target, sometimes carry them where I live. The other advantage is you can reuse them for other tobaccos just a good cleaning will remove the old tobacco aroma.

Status
Not open for further replies.