PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
So I just opened up a 9 years old tin of Veermaster and got 2 questions. First, how long do you think we can age baccy in tins? This one was only 9 years and even if it was still sealed it was already pretty dry. Just right for smoking straight up but my concern is if I wait 20 years it will be very dry...

I was also wondering about colour change while aging. I always see pictures of decade old tobaccos that turned almost black but it never happened to me. In the last year I opened up some 8-9 years old capstan, deluxe navy rolls and the veermaster and none of the baccy was black, a bit darker maybe but not that much. What’s the trick?

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not everything turns black. Maybe it has something to do with storage medium. The dark black. Tobacco I've had was mostly in jars. I also remember though a tin of 7 year old Union Square that was quite dark out of the tin.

Is your aged tobacco smoking good? If so, the color is rather irrelevant.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have recently opened 2012 tins of Hamborger Veermaster and the tobacco was much darker than when fresh. The longer it stays in it's tin the darker it gets. I have tupperware like containers that keeps the tobacco fresh and moist and continues to darken the longer it stays in the tins. Here is a pic of the containers I am talking about. The opaque containers with the white lids are the ones that will keep my tobacco fresh for up to a couple of years.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So I just opened up a 9 years old tin of Veermaster and got 2 questions. First, how long do you think we can age baccy in tins? This one was only 9 years and even if it was still sealed it was already pretty dry. Just right for smoking straight up but my concern is if I wait 20 years it will be very dry...

I was also wondering about colour change while aging. I always see pictures of decade old tobaccos that turned almost black but it never happened to me. In the last year I opened up some 8-9 years old capstan, deluxe navy rolls and the veermaster and none of the baccy was black, a bit darker maybe but not that much. What’s the trick?
I'd guess that if the tin's seal was intact then what you got was what the manufacturer put in the tin, dry or moist.

Regarding colours, does it matter? I've had 16 year old Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake, nearly black and rubbery and delicious for 1 week, turned to hot air swiftly after that.

Forum wisdom is that mason jar and mylar are good for decades, rubber gasket jars for years for sure, tins are more iffy, especially square ones.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I have recently opened 2012 tins of Hamborger Veermaster and the tobacco was much darker than when fresh. The longer it stays in it's tin the darker it gets. I have tupperware like containers that keeps the tobacco fresh and moist and continues to darken the longer it stays in the tins. Here is a pic of the containers I am talking about. The opaque containers with the white lids are the ones that will keep my tobacco fresh for up to a couple of years.
Was the Veermaster pretty dry? Like ready to smoke dry? What scares me is aging baccy for longer than 10 years and ending up with way to dry tobacco. I’m now wondering if I should jar some of my tins...

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I'd guess that if the tin's seal was intact then what you got was what the manufacturer put in the tin, dry or moist.

Regarding colours, does it matter? I've had 16 year old Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake, nearly black and rubbery and delicious for 1 week, turned to hot air swiftly after that.

Forum wisdom is that mason jar and mylar are good for decades, rubber gasket jars for years for sure, tins are more iffy, especially square ones.
The seal was intact but read that it’s usually really humid so I’m wondering...

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The only thing to worry about is how long to keep the tobacco in the tin. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. It will probably outlast you. The way cigrmaster stores it is how I store my tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.