PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Forged pipe nails that I bought on Etsy.

I really like those a lot! I want a nail and a set. I might have posted this photo before but, I had these hand forged pipe nails from stock metal crafted for our pipe club a few years ago. The young guy who made them goes by Thor's Revenge on the YTPC. 8O

image_10.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I'm with yaddy306, the nail heads seem a bit to narrow for tamping, in my opinion ...

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
Nail%20Tamper%204-s.jpg

@ madox07, It really depends on the nail you use I think on weather the head is to narrow. As you can see it isn't much smaller than the one that is sold by Aritocob which is a large golf tee. The golf tee is the same size as the pipe tampers you can get at any pipe and tobacco shop which are sold for a few bucks each.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Nice! I've made quite of few of these "emergency tampers". Usually before a lunt or and unexpected adventure. (I have some anvils and big hammers so takes me seconds).
Be careful about heating up galvanized nails...
Also, is there a market for pipe tools or pipe stands. I have a secondary business forging.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
cbates55 I guess you are right. Since the nail head's diameter is in direct proportion to its length that's the reason you bent it? I have used golf tee's before - actually ashdigger sent me a few customized ones with the dagner logo, but I never thought nails would work - I always associated nails with something else, but if your imagination works the right way I suppose you can adapt a nail and there is nothing wrong with that. One time, I used and empty .30-06 case, that worked well since I had nothing else in handy, but for some reason I prefer your classic tamper.

cbates55

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2017
@ akfilm, Yea galvanized anything any heat isn't a good combo as the off gasses it produces are bad for your health. That's why I will never weld on it either....

Status
Not open for further replies.