PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I’ve been smoking a few different English blends (from Boswell) for the last few days. It is my first experience with English blends and I must say I’m amazed at the different flavors that come out while smoking. It was a very pleasant surprise to find so much great flavor as I started experimenting outside of the aromatics blends that I typically smoke.
The strange thing that I’ve noticed is that I have lingering tastes from that smoke that continue hours after the smoke is complete, even into the next day. I always smoke at night and brush my teeth and use mouthwash before going to bed and then again when I get up in the morning. I swear after smoking last night I can still taste the flavor of the English blends that I smokes last night. It was very pronounced this morning when I had my coffee and I’ve tasted traces of it throughout the day today.
It’s actually quite pleasant and I’m definitely not complaining. I’m just curious if this is a normal effect that other people experience with certain blends or if perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me. I’ve never experienced this with any other pipe tobacco or while smoking cigars.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Some of the blends I smoke linger for a short while and some stick with me for a long time as you mentioned. I to usually enjoy the aftertaste as much as the smoke itself. :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Some call it "finish". I'd call it aftermath or after taste but either way if it's not a killjoy for you then carry on. Some Latakia mixtures can hang on the palette for some time where a golden Virginia leaves a clean finish for me and usually leaves me hungry for more. A good lat blend is a fine "days end" smoke for me as it usually leaves me satisfied and ready to retire for the evening. Was the Boswell blend Northwoods by any chance?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I have noticed with northwoods it leaves almost a film of taste in your mouth well after smoking it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
All tobacco leaves an aftertaste when I awake in the morning. A woman with whom I spoke told me that she wouldn't date me due to my pipe smoking due the taste of tobacco in a smoker's mouth. Latakia and cigars leave an even stronger residue.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Smoke can get into nooks and crannies in the soft palate, throat, and nasal passages that toothbrushes and mouthwash can't quite reach. I've been known to use a neti pot for some particularly stubborn Latakia blends... :D

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Since the OP is branching of from aromatics might I suggest some Virginias, specifically the Goldens. I get a nice, clean finish any time I smoke a Va or VaPer and it leaves my mouth almost feeling like I just brushed. Sort of an antiseptic sensation. Latakia lingers for a short while and I like others here, savor it.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the feedback everyone. What I'm experiencing is definitely not smokers mouth. As a long time cigar smoker I'm very aware of that morning experience after a night of smoking. That unpleasant, morning-after smokers mouth was the main reason I only smoked cigars a few times a month.
What I'm experiencing is actually very pleasant. It's sort of like an occasional dripping of sweet flavor that it pretty pronounced for a few hours after the smoke and lingers on in a very subtle way for almost a full day after the smoke. It sounds like what I'm experiencing is common with some blends.
@settersbrace - Thanks for the suggestion on Virginians. I have only tried one Virginian so far, Dunhill Flake. It wasn't an unpleasant experience for me but it wasn't something I enjoyed enough to go out and buy more. Do you have any other Virginian tobacco's you'd recommend?
As I am experimenting outside of aromatics I have definitely found a new favorite in the English blends. I have tried 8 different English sample blends from Boswell, Metro Cigar and McClelland and am enjoying them all, with Boswell's Northwoods blend being my favorite.
As I mentioned before I wasn't a huge fan of the Dunhill flake Virginian but I did try two Virginian blends that I really enjoyed, Frog Morton's and Rattray's Bagpipers Dream. I think Frog Morton is a combination of Virginian and Latakia while Bagpipers Dream is a few different Virginian's combined with black Cavendish.
If anyone else has suggestions on different non-aromatic blends to try let me know. Thanks!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Bernie, seeing that you've got a cigar backround I'd wager you might enjoy a Virginia Perique blend, aka-VaPer. There more going on with these blends and for starters I'd recommend P.S. Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's medium bodied, slightly sweet and has a decent nic hit. G.L. Pease's Haddo's Delight is another excellent VaPer. Food for thought.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I don't smoke English blends but ordered a number of samplers from different tobacco sites about 18 or so months ago. One of the blends from Boswell's was Northwoods. I smoked a bowl of it and tasted it for a day after. It is the only English I have ever tried.

I generally don't mind aftertaste at all but I did not care for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.