PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
They figure they can sell X + some % of X by using their existing stock of tobacco to make "new" blends. If they have to return to selling the same old same old when the FDA regs take hold, so be it.
I agree with this analysis, with a wrinkle: they learned from the Shiner Beer people how to make a domestic product sell for import prices through novelty and ease of access.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It would be interesting to try this on a small scale just to see what can be made.
It's very easy to make. I have some Semois that will be done "Periqueing" in another few months. Having made close to a dozen batches over the years I believe the reason for the periodic un-packing and re-packing of the leaf has nothing to do with actually making perique (from a microbe perspective). If you were to press a 50 gallon barrel of leaf for 1 year it would be a concrete block when you were done. I believe the periodic unpacking is so that when the fermentation is finally done it can be separated for shredding purposes.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
If anyone sees him at the Chicago show, ask him how many times a year he unpacks-repacks. Maybe he's come up with a newer method?
It would seem that the key is the wooden keg, log, etc.
Not really, The microbes in the final product are yeast. Anaerobic yeast at that. So once the leaf is pulled out and the barrel is exposed to air all of the yeast will die off.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Hmmmm, when I dry yeast out, and then add sugar salt flour and water to it again, it comes back to life. All yeast comes in a bone dry form
Yes, Falcultative anaerobes will do that. The yeast of Perique (pichia anomala)is an Obligate anaerobe (as near as I can tell) which means it dies in the presence of oxygen.
Oh, and don't worry about all the goo you see on the top of a Perique barrel. Once you lift the lid the rest of the tobacco is free of any goo. So unpacking and repacking several times is not as messy as it may seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.