PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This comes in the statewide Missouri news:

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (KMIZ)

A Calvary Lutheran High School teacher was charged with attempted murder and armed criminal action after she allegedly poisoned her husband.

Sarah Scheffer, 37, of Jefferson City, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of first-degree domestic assault. A probable cause statement said her husband told police he had been ill for about six weeks.

The man contacted Jefferson City police Tuesday saying he believed his wife had been poisoning him, according to a news release. The woman admitted after her arrest to adding substances to the man's food with the knowledge it could kill him or make him ill, the Jefferson City Police Department said.

The substance she used contained cardiac glycosides, a substance used in a class of drugs meant to treat irregular heartbeats, police say. Signs of toxicity include nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

The victim told police that he remembered eight occasions when he'd eaten or drunk something that tasted strange and then became sick, the statement says. He confronted Scheffer about it on New Year's Day and then installed a hidden surveillance camera, according to the statement.

The camera showed Scheffer getting a substance out of a bag labeled "lily of the valley" and adding it to his smoothies, the statement says. Scheffer allegedly admitted to putting the substance in his smoothies knowing that it would be toxic to her husband.

Scheffer was in the Cole County Jail on Wednesday on a no-bond arrest warrant. No hearings had been set in her case, according to online court records.

Xxxxxx

So I looked up Lily of the Valley herb on eBay.

All she wants, $25 a bag.

IMG_6816.jpeg

Better be nice to the missus.

Or else make your own smoothies.:)

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Yeah I've got a patch of them growing in a flowerbed that keep spreading under the fence from the neighbor. They're very hardy plants. I'm always digging them out and chasing my dog away from them (he knows he's not supposed to be in the flower bed) because one leaf or even worse, a piece of root, can make a dog very ill or even kill it. There are several common flowers that are quite poisonous, like Monk's Hoods (Aconitum), which my neighbor also grows.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Lilies of the Valley are rather pretty
Lily-of-the-Valley2.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This lady is a textbook case of why NEVER to talk to the police unless you’ve called the police, which is almost (but not quite) always another bad idea.

The most difficult problem a prosector has with a poisoning case is proving who administered the poison.

And even if they can prove the act, the malicious intent is then an obstacle.

There are medical uses for Lily of the Valley tea. The bag that lady used has a dosage on it.

Xxxxx
Lily of the Valley is a dietary supplement that is known to have many health benefits. It is believed to help reduce inflammation, improve heart health, and boost the immune system. It is also thought to help with digestive issues, such as constipation and bloating.

Xxxxx

Another strange fact in this case.

The husband said on eight occasions she fixed him things that made him sick.

She must have other talents and redeeming virtues we’ve not heard about.

Ugly old bow legged women could not serve the second smoothie.:)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yeah I've got a patch of them growing in a flowerbed that keep spreading under the fence from the neighbor. They're very hardy plants. I'm always digging them out and chasing my dog away from them (he knows he's not supposed to be in the flower bed) because one leaf or even worse, a piece of root, can make a dog very ill or even kill it. There are several common flowers that are quite poisonous, like Monk's Hoods (Aconitum), which my neighbor also grows.
Yikes, I did not know they were toxic to dogs. My wife loves them and I included some in a few mass plantings of bulbs I accomplished late fall. The dogs don't ever wander into the beds and are not unsupervised in the yard, but . . I will keep a close eye!

Also, honeysuckles are toxic and dogs will eat the berries. Not the invasive ones that will kill off whole acres of trees, but the ornamental ones people put in flower beds. I had no idea that every part of a honeysuckle plant was toxic. I had three varieties in the backyard, and as I was looking for a recipe for honeysuckle wine, I discovered that they were actually very deadly. So, I had to yank them out, even though they smelled wonderful.
The invasive ones can be used for wine, but it is way better to just yank those out also, because they will spread and take over whole sections of land.