PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristos

Lurker
Dec 16, 2013
Hey guys, do any of you happen to do, or know who would be able to do, repair on a corona old boy style lighter? I recently bought one made by Vertigo from my local B&M and it's never worked right. I have to repeatedly strike it before I get any kind of flame and when I finally do get one, it's usually very small bordering on the verge of going out. When I first started having this problem I took it back into the shop to let them look at it. The little stoner behind the counter played with it for a while and he seemed to have gotten it to work but as soon as I left the shop, it was right back to the way it was before. I've tried everything I can think of to do. I've bled and refilled it multiple times. I've tried refilling it in short bursts. I've tried refilling it in longer bursts. I've tried sporadic filling. I've replaced the flint. Each time it acts like it will work at first then it's right back to striking repeatedly. I'm out of ideas. And when I took it back into the shop the one time and offhandedly mentioned that they might replace it with a new one, they basically laughed at me. Can someone help? I love the little bugger, it's a really cool looking lighter. But in it's current condition, it's nothing more than a glorified paperweight.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Vertigo lighters have a very short flint spring. If you unscrew the little cap, remove the spring, and replace it with one from a disposable lighter cut to length, part of the problem will go away; the rest of the problem being the whole assembly is probably wobbly ( I have had one for over a year and it requires constant fiddling if used on a regular basis ). You can disassemble the whole thing by removing the little Phillips screw on the bottom and tighten everything, then reassemble. Helps if you keep the flame port clean and turned to the proper direction too ( it rotates freely 360° ).

Status
Not open for further replies.