Lifes Been a Little Rough This Last Year.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
It's taken me awhile to decide to write this post, but I feel it's time. The last year, year and a half even, has been difficult because my wife of 42 years has been fighting multiple health problems. Amazingly none of it Covid related! After she turned 80 she started to have some problems with dementia and her balance, and muscle loss, so she started using a cane to get around. Then about a year ago she lost her balance in the bathroom and fell backwards and hit her back on the edge of the tub. So now she had a fractured vertebra and two broken ribs. It took her a long time to recover but she continued to lose strength in her legs. I did all I could for her at home along with some home health nurses, but after a while she couldn't even stand. I had to put her in the hospital, and from there to a physical rehab center. Four weeks later she was back in the hospital, and after three days passed away.
On top of that, our oldest daughter who was coming out from CA to help was diagnosed with breast cancer and couldn't come. Our younger daughter, who is a nurse no less is having bad back problems with bulging discs and osteoporosis. She managed to come out for a few days, but couldn't stay because of her therapy.
When it rains it pours I guess.
I recently decided to buy a new pipe in memory of my wife and to cheer me up. I was looking at Smoking Pipes estate pipes when I saw the pipe, unsmoked no less. Being low on funds at this point, I decided to send some of my pipes in for trade. They were very fair and I easily had enough to cover the cost of this pipe. My first Ashton, a Brindle, straight pot, one X. This style is probably not for everyone, and yes it's somewhat small but not as small as you would think. It's quirky looking which reminds me of my wife and her tastes. She would love this pipe, and every time I smoke I can think of all the good times we had smoking our pipes over the years.
Sorry for the long winded sob story, but this forum has been my happy place for about nine years, for which I thank all the members here.

DSCF5233.jpeg
DSCF5238.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Condolences on the loss of your wife. I know from experience, that is a hard time. Take it slow and do it your way. I hope your daughters get well and that you stay well. I like your pipe, very Ashton, traditional with an individual streak. Check in regularly and let us know how you're doing and what you're smoking in your new pipe, and how it is smoking.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Very sorry to hear all you have gone through.

I must say you have excellent taste in pipes! I still have a morta pipe (Pipa Croci) you sold me a few years ago. Excellent pipe too!

I think I'll smoke it this week sometime while keeping you and yours in my mind, heart, and prayers. This is a good place of refuge and you're never alone so stay strong.