PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Uhle's #255 is a burley blend with anise. Cube cut and a good blend. licorice/anise is an old flavoring agent and is used in many blends. I get an anise taste from the new Bengal Slices which I happen to like a lot.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Flake Liquorice (they also do a medium and light flake I believe).
Cellar it for six months and it's fantastic.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
No. GH will put the liquorice topping on on any of their base tobaccos (min order 500g) but you could very well be correct on the dark and brown flakes. It is a while since I spoke to the sales rep and I'm sure he said that they generally topped three grades. I had had a couple of pints and I was only interested in the strongest (Dark Flake) so that's what I ordered. I will be seeing the rep again in a couple of weeks so will double check and report back.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's a blend called Nosferatu that you can only get through Denver tobacconist Tewksbury & Co. English with anise added. I haven't tried it but sounds interesting: http://www.tewksburycompany.com/newsite/pipe-tobacco/nosferatu

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
G&H has 182 different tobacco's according to Tobaccoreviews, and I'm sure there's more than that. We don't see that much of what they have for sale in North America.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/28/gawith-hoggarth-co

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Germain's PLum Cake and Esoterica RamsGate. Sorry if they were mentioned, I scanned through comments and didn't see them listed.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Found this online when I was attempting to determine which was used more in tobacco for licorice flavoring, anise or licorice root.
Dr. Christopher's "Herbal Legacy" states:

The major active component of Licorice is saponin known as glycyrrhizin, also known as glycyrrhizic acid, which is an extremely sweet, foaming triterpene glycoside. It has a similar structure and activity as the adrenal steroids. Glycrrhizin, the potassium and calcium salt of glycyrrhizinic acid, is 50 times sweeter than sucrose and encourages the production of hormones such as hydrocortisone. Diabetic patients can safely take this type of sugar.
From what I could determine, licorice wins over anise in flavoring tobaccos.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Whoops, are they not the same thing?
Nope, Cos. Turns out Anise is a herbal seed. There is also a "Star Anise". Then there is Licorice root. All of these have a licorice type flavor. :)

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm a big fan of anise and licorice and have been on a search for a tobacco that has these flavors. I tried Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky because it's supposed to have an anise flavor. Many compare it to Peter Heinrich's dark flake and say that in the latter the anise is more pronounced. Though I don't readily detect the anise in the Orlik, I do really like it as it is full flavored and has a nice sweetness. I also tried McConnell's mature as it also allegedly has an anise flavor. It is a very good dark virginia blend but I feel it lacks that pronounced anise component I'm looking for. I ultimately bought some Stokkebye Sambuca and there's no doubt about it, the anise is up front and unmistakeable. Unfortunately, as with most aromatics, I find the flavor a bit cloying. So, when I crave an anise smoke, I pack a bowl with a blend of one third sambuca with two thirds of the McConnell's. I guess I'm hard to please. My search is still on but searching for that 'perfect' blend no matter what you are looking for is part of the fun.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hunter is right on target. Good old Mixture 79 gets a thorough soaking in a licorice bath. Good grief,it's been over 50 years since I smoked the stuff. Got to keep in mind that there are more people who smoke the "drugstore " blends than the boutique tobaccos--many more. we're really a niche market. Also, Iwanries 3 Star Blue has a licorice taste to it. Just remember to smoke it v-e-r-y slowly, as it can bite you. Smoked properly, it can be rather pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.