PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
1792 Flake. They should put a picture of a flaming tire on the tin, because that's what it tastes like.
@krizzose that's the best description I've ever read about 1792 Flake. I think its spot on.
Tobacco's I hate:

SG 1792 Flake

SG Full Virginia Flake

Esoterica Stone Haven

Altadis Balkan II

Lane Very Cherry

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Captain Black Gold - my very first smoke, no one to teach me...I puffed away at the soggy stuff for about an hour and burned my tongue so badly I couldn't hardly eat for a week! I can't even look at the stuff without feeling ill... :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Gold Block - it is like smoking nail clippings and old leaves. Also there is Bondman which came in a red pouch or tin and the deadly Birds (custard powder) Mixture which tastes like custard powder are just a few that spring mind. :)

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I sympathise with those who dislike Grousemoor.
But the worst of all time is Clan. When I tried it decades ago at University, my tongue

was scorched for days afterwards. A friend of mine described it perfectly as "perfumed puke in a pouch".

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Since I last posted on this thread, I've added a few more to my list, including SG Grousemoor and Peterson Hyde Park. That's not all, but it's what I can remember at the moment.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
I pretty much detest any tobacco that isn't Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz or Big n' Burley. But the top tier of the despicable ones are in no certain order; Grousemoor, FVF, Blackwoods, Chelsea Morning, Quiet Nights, Borkum Riff and Peterson Super Limited Edition Fruitcake tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are no bad tobaccos, only misunderstood tobaccos. Ho-ho-ho. Someone gave me some Clan pouch tobacco,

but I haven't tried it. Lots of Forums members, including me, really like Nightcap, though you have to adjust to it.

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
That's (forgive me for the harsh language) borderline stupid. Of course there's bad tobaccos. As well as bad people, worthless food, badly built cars and so on. Some people have surperior taste and some bad. Some eat at five star restaurants or enjoy home cooked meals, others have their heads up their bum and eat fast food. Some have a taste and eye for quality clothing and know how to dress like an adult, others wear t-shirts and baggy jeans. Do you want me to continue? Some people say that everyone is equal, I call them morons.

I admit that I have not read this entire thread, but I am amazed that everyone doesn't list something with that Lakeland taste. I know that it some sort of nut (Tonquin Bean) or rose geranium, but I accidentally received some GH&C Dark Flake Scented, when I had ordered the unscented. I had liked the unscented as an end of day smoke, but I had to flush the scented variety after trying to smoke it a few times. I just couldn't get past thinking about my great grandmother's bathroom and all of her old lady soaps. I have also had to put the I used pipe in a drawer, as I have yet to exorcise the ghost it left. I may need the help of a witch doctor or Voodoo priestess.

And, since this experience, I have not been able to enjoy the unscented variety since, either. Although I had never experienced or tasted this flavor in the unscented before, I taste it very lightly now. It has ruined this whole blend genre for me now.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
@cosmicfolklore For some reason I felt a hankerin' for some Ennerdale last night so I threw it in my lakeland cob.
The first few times I tried smoking it I just couldn't understand how people would enjoy it and how a company can keep making it.
However, last nights Ennerdale cob was absolutely sublime. Perhaps the cold weather has me craving aromatics a lot more lately and I'm looking forward to more Ennerdale.
PIPES ARE WEIRD.

I wonder if it is a memories thing? Because it smells exactly like those soaps of my grandmother's. Maybe others don't have these memories to associate with the odor. Or, their grandmothers all used a different type of soap. To me, it is so girlie in an old, old lady sort of way, that images of huge bras, small soaps in the shapes of roses, teeth in the jar, and enema bags hanging the shower come to mind just from the tin note. I just can't get past it enough to finish a whole bowl.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Pretty much anything by Condor. It is said to be a tobacco created by geniuses, its just that I haven't seen any evidence of their genius. All of them taste like some form of muddy paste.

xoran

Lurker
May 31, 2013
Sail. I didn't like it too much. I finished the pouch though.

I'm surprised so much dislike for Grousemoor. I kinda like it.
At 15 or 16 when I started smoking the pipe I really liked Carter Hall. Today at 66

I buy a pouch every now and then and it just doesn't have the same rich taste it did

back in the 60's. I don't know if they changed the blend or through aging my olfactory

system is not what it used to be. I think if I could get the same taste and

aroma out of CH as I did in the 60's it would be a go to tobacco for me.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I can't think of any tobacco I hate, only those that are so-so and that I wouldn't buy again. Lakelands, scented or flavored, tonquin, geranium, etc., are fine, but I only really like 1792 and liked Grousemoor well enough. On my tobacco bar I have everything from 1792 through Royal Yacht, Stonehaven to Silver Flake.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
Peterson's Hyde Park and like smoking dove soap bar shavings. Blah it was just awful and I have smoked lots of lakelands that I didnt mine smoking.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Clan. When I was at university I knew a fellow who smoked a pipe as an affectation, except the pipe he smoked was one of those horrendous chinese pipes with the metal filter in the bowl, and a pouch of clan, which he bought as it was in his words 'the cheapest one I could find'. Horrible tobacco, horrible pipe, horrible smoke.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Capt. Bob's Grape. Talk about ruin a pipe. :crazy:
Boswell's, "No bite Delight" it bites. Can't smoke it. :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.