PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Virginia blends. With few (very few) exceptions they all taste like stale cigarette smoke. No thanks!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Mac Baren HH Signature Matured Virginia... Bit like a rabid raccoon. Horrible. Imagine the hottest coffee or tea hitting your tongue with every sip of your pipe. I love me some VA's too! FVF is fantastic! But this... This was painful.
The McClelland 221b Series really benefit from some aging. Arcadia and Honeydew are much better after they've had a year behind them.
I've yet to try the Stanwell Melange, but the tin note is almost identical to a fresh tin of Villiger 1888 Mid Day, which I love...
-Jason

rootling

Lurker
May 30, 2011
cortezattic: Crooner isn't grapenuts anymore they changed the style of the cube cut to be much finer, burns without a thought now. Liked it more a little chunky, nic hit is a bit of a load now.
Now as for tobacco i hate, none. There is only stuff that doesn't agree with me.

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
Petersons Sherlock Holmes, and no offence to Captain Bob, but I dont like his blend. I have tried to, I really have, but its just not for me.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
dont really hate them but Lat blends do not agree with me and I do belive it will be many years before I buy anymore 1Q or any Areo for that matter

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Sometimes a blending house turns out a range of tobaccos with a pH that just conflicts with my mouth. Earlier in my smoking "career" I ordered a number of C&D blends as well as G.L. Pease tins, and just couldn't get along with most of them. So, I wrote the two off entirely. Flash forward to 2010 and I tried a few of them again. Delicious! So clearly, something changed.
Come back to McC in a few years, maybe they will "work" for you?
As for tobaccos I hate? Hmmm... I'd have to say Morley's Best by C&D, this one was like chewing aspirin :?:

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Balkan Sasieni...I know it's popular but i just can't tolerate it.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Originally posted by rogers.

Billy Budd. I tried to like it, but it's just too bitter for me.
That's the one I came here to post. Besides the bitter and general nastiness, I'm not used to, nor do I want to get used to, such a nicotine bomb.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've had some nauseating Virginia blends recently ... but the thing is, I won't commit to saying I really hate them until I've tried them a few more times.
The palette changes, sometimes even my favorite blends can have a bitter and unpleasant edge to them.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Armonia by Savenelli. Great pipes, horrible tobacco. It's an evil, tongue-burning fruity concoction that makes me yearn for the relatively blissful embrace of Borkum Riff.

Borkum Riff is pretty awful, too.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Armonia by Savenelli.

If you're talking about AROMA, I have to say that it's a very good aromatic. A real crowd pleaser. It's like smoking candy. I don't smoke it nearly as often as I used to when I was first starting out, but when I want a smoke that tastes like the tin note, this is one that I reach for.
-Jason

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Sweet & Savory had me walking into walls. Yes, I was puking by the end. Way too much nic for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.