PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I thought I would share something that I have recently become a huge fan of, which is packing and charring the morning's smoke the night before. It truly is the best smoke of the day, almost as if it marinades all night. Give it a shot, if you haven't already.

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
I read about it in an interview P&T did with some pipe maker, and thought huh...? I'll have to give that a try. Well from me it has been very, very nice. First off, the pipe takes right off and it seems as if the baccy has really melded together nicely. Maybe its just placebo...let me know how you liked it.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
I've heard others swear by this method, but I cant personally taste anything but funk when I DGT a pipe.

Aug 14, 2012
My first reading of this was "Let that charming light sit overnight..." and I was waiting for the rest of the poem. I am, of course, a bit daffy.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I do it all the time. Char it set it down fall asleep. Smoke it tomorrow. Hell, sometimes I smoke a quarter or half the bowl and fall asleep. I joke finish it off the next day. I have left a pipe loaded and charreda for several days, because I forgot about it. It usually smokes just fine.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I loaded up a bowl of Dunhill Flake one time and did the char light, set it down to answer my work phone and totally forgot it for two days. I'm too cheap to just throw that bowl of tobacco away without smoking it. Wish I had. 8O

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I think the logic in why it tastes better for some is that it is essentially drying in the process. Like all of you who bake your flakes, it's the same thing but to a smaller degree. Think about it: your initial charring light starts a warm flow of air, and when you put it down, that initial light was the catalyst to start drying out your tobacco. Some tobacco needs and appreciate a lot of drying time, which explains why those who use the DGT find it tastes better, sweeter, and smokes better. For those who puff it up a day later bu accident and find it tastes terrible, my guess is that that tobacco did not need that extra drying time.

Just my reasoning...
Shutterbug

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
Makes sense. I think that was the intent of easterntravler's post. I'll have to try it with something really dry.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I DGT all the time. Seems to work best with VAs. I've heard its not recommended for cigar leaf blends.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I regularly leave a partially smoked corncob of VA on my workbench and get back to it the next day. It always tastes fine to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From time to time, I park a packed or partially smoked pipe overnight, or for hours while I

do something else. I don't always plan it that way, but it happens. The follow-up smoke

nearly always tastes good, unless I've smoked it down to the dottle already. Then I just

clean it, choose another pipe, and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.