PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's ratified air in some ways. A Bassman 400 is where I fell in love with a Ric 4003 but I haven't yet had the scratch and the reason, at the same time, to get one for myself. That goes for the amp and bass both.

If it makes you feel any better I have a 4003 (black) and the one piece neck & body has never been stable. Neck warp city. The bass was replaced in its entirety twice in the original 5-year warranty period, and then bent a third time after it was out of warranty.

The head guy at Rick even got involved (forgotten his name, now) but no joy.

Never again for moi.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
A lot of really beautiful guitars you all have! Great thread.

I just took 3 pictures of the guitars I have hanging on my walls, I have one more electric guitar tucked away, I might get it out to take a picture, it‘s an American Fender Stratocaster with a beautiful baby blue finish. I don’t jam on it as much as I used to but I play my acoustic & Spanish guitars obsessively. It’s not that I like to play every day, I have to play every day.

Here are the pictures I just took. I only have 4. I never got too carried away collecting guitars as I’ve seen some people do, talk about an expensive hobby!

I’ve had this Fender since I was 12 or 13 years old.
IMG_5345.jpeg

This is a rare Gibson Classical/Spanish guitar, it was a gift, I’ve had it about 15 years now. I don’t have the Air Tag on it as a safety measure, haha, I just put it up there to remind me to take it when I need it on the go.
IMG_5344.jpeg

And this is the latest one I bought a few years back, it’s a Cordoba GK Studio Iberia Series Limited Edition. The back of it has some stunning grain But it’s dark so it’s hard to pic up on camera.
IMG_5343.jpeg

Last edited:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'll play (no pun intended). Been doing this for a while, and whittled down to the following keepers.

View attachment 242051
2000 R7 with CreamT '57 GT pickups. Fat and sassy, like western Carolina BBQ

View attachment 242052
My #1 - 2007 Chambered R8 with Peter Florance Voodoo '59 pickups. This is like Pittsburg style filet with Hollandaise and green peppercorn sauce.

View attachment 242054
The rest of the hanging flock, and the noisemakers
Well, no need to take a picture of my Fender, that one on the last pic looks almost identical to the one I have. Good collection! I LOVE your Gibsons! That’s one guitar that I will get eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have two and I can't play either one of them. I still enjoy trying.

2018 Alvarez Grateful Dead
View attachment 241994

Cordoba C5
View attachment 241995

I enjoy the Cordoba more than the Alvarez. I like the way it feels and the sound. I thought about selling the Alvarez, probably just keep it though...I hate the hassle of selling stuff.
I really like Cordoba’s. I’ve been fighting off buying another one, I may cave soon.I’m not a dead head myself but that Alvarez is a looker!

Reactions: scloyd
Aug 1, 2012
If it makes you feel any better I have a 4003 (black) and the one piece neck & body has never been stable. Neck warp city. The bass was replaced in its entirety twice in the original 5-year warranty period, and then bent a third time after it was out of warranty.

The head guy at Rick even got involved (forgotten his name, now) but no joy.

Never again for moi.
This is, sadly, a familiar story. The finish issues, the weird warping issues, the general disregard for customers...that's Ric for ya. Too bad because when you get a bad one you're screwed but when you get a good one, it's tone heaven. Their necks are so variable too. You can get anything from baseball bat to comfy and stable to...what you got.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Well, no need to take a picture of my Fender, that one on the last pic looks almost identical to the one I have. Good collection! I LOVE your Gibsons! That’s one guitar that I will get eventually.
Thanks! I've gone through a bunch of Les Pauls over the years, and these two are keepers. I'm still on the lookout for a P90 version, but in no hurry.

Neither of the last pic are actually Fenders though. The tele is a Johnston Custom that was made for me: 60s style but with ebony fretboard, 22 stainless steel frets. The strat is a mid 1980s ESP 400 series - very well made vintage style strat.

Reactions: hawky454

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Here’s mine. Bought it in college. Barnes and Nobles fronted me the money for it.
View attachment 241999
Weren't these called Big Apple Strats when they came out? This one seems to have been modded a bit, with the black knobs and custom pups. I always liked them. Best of both worlds, since they are basically a Strat and LP rolled into one.

I really like electric guitars but have pretty much stopped playing mine. With limited time, and it being a huge hassle to get out all the cords, amp, etc., it's way more convenient to just grab my acoustic out of the case at day's end and play a bit.

Reactions: renfield

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Weren't these called Big Apple Strats when they came out? This one seems to have been modded a bit, with the black knobs and custom pups. I always liked them. Best of both worlds, since they are basically a Strat and LP rolled into one.

I really like electric guitars but have pretty much stopped playing mine. With limited time, and it being a huge hassle to get out all the cords, amp, etc., it's way more convenient to just grab my acoustic out of the case at day's end and play a bit.
Oh yeah I forgot that’s what they were called that but that sounds right.
I found out much later that the knobs are actually push pull knobs which is a pretty cool feature but I honestly don’t use that too often.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Oh yeah I forgot that’s what they were called that but that sounds right.
I found out much later that the knobs are actually push pull knobs which is a pretty cool feature but I honestly don’t use that too often.
Yeah, the push/pull (coil-tap) option lets you go to a single coil and get the traditional Strat tone, and then go balls-to-the-wall humbucker mode like a LP. Absolutely endless tonal possibilities with that guitar.

Reactions: Kobold

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
IMG_1916.jpeg
IMG_1917.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg
My two guitars I have in my living room. They’re just just cheapo Yamahas. The 340-fg steel string is a jumbo dreadnaught and the nylon is a cg-140 my mom got in the 90s when she took a classical guitar class. I also have a mim strat I use for gigging/recording and a cheap Johnson bass I use for recording. Spot the pipe in the studio pic?

Reactions: jeff540

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I no longer have guitars. I used to though, and I loved playing them. Sadly a house fire a few years ago took them. Nothing too special, an early to mid 50s Silverstone and an old Dobro that were both willed to me. I say they were nothing special because the bodies were.... well loved. They were never in pristine condition, scratches all over and the like. But man, either one had tones you'd trade your entire cellar for.

My Silvertone looked very much like this one.n8dxc5yvrev2iogrrfmb.jpg

And the Dobro steel looked like this with the resonator.DOBRO_FEATURE.jpg

I also had an el cheapo Yamaha acoustic I learned on. I wish I still had them to play, and the memory of those sounds well not only haunt me the rest of my life, but will keep me from getting another guitar. I know I won't be able to acquire these two without selling my car for them.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I no longer have guitars. I used to though, and I loved playing them. Sadly a house fire a few years ago took them. Nothing too special, an early to mid 50s Silverstone and an old Dobro that were both willed to me. I say they were nothing special because the bodies were.... well loved. They were never in pristine condition, scratches all over and the like. But man, either one had tones you'd trade your entire cellar for.

My Silvertone looked very much like this one.View attachment 242845

And the Dobro steel looked like this with the resonator.View attachment 242846

I also had an el cheapo Yamaha acoustic I learned on. I wish I still had them to play, and the memory of those sounds well not only haunt me the rest of my life, but will keep me from getting another guitar. I know I won't be able to acquire these two without selling my car for them.
If you really want to play, why not go down to your local guitar shop and see if something grabs you? As much as I love my guitar and would hate to part with it, if it were stolen, lost, or destroyed, the very next thing I'd do would be to go about replacing it with another.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
If you really want to play, why not go down to your local guitar shop and see if something grabs you? As much as I love my guitar and would hate to part with it, if it were stolen, lost, or destroyed, the very next thing I'd do would be to go about replacing it with another.
By then other hobbies/money pits showed up in life. Like children. I have 5 guitar stores I could walk to from my house, and I've been in at least twice a month for the past few years. My issue right now is I don't want  another guitar, I want those. Although there is a nice looking Fender acoustic/ electric hanging in one of the windows. Maybe after I sell the bike.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
By then other hobbies/money pits showed up in life. Like children. I have 5 guitar stores I could walk to from my house, and I've been in at least twice a month for the past few years. My issue right now is I don't want  another guitar, I want those. Although there is a nice looking Fender acoustic/ electric hanging in one of the windows. Maybe after I sell the bike.
I hear you (I'm still raising kids too). I still go into guitar shops a lot but always prefer to come home and play my own guitar. Every now and then something I pull off the wall will grab me and want to follow me home. That's always kind of scary, but I'll go home and end up forgetting about it.

Honestly, my guitar isn't all that special. There are tons of nicer ones out there. But the one I have it mine and I've spent so much time playing it that it just feels like home. So I do understand where you're coming from.