PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Happy Summer Gentlemen!
I recently met my neighbor, Carol, for the very first time. It was a chance encounter, brought upon by her interest in my cat, Jazzy Lou. Carol and I were witness to Jazzy's first foray into the world of trees. :lol: As we were conversing, I was smoking my pipe, and she commented that she has never seen someone my age smoking a pipe, but that her father smoked one, albeit very rarely. The last few words she spoke, got me thinking...
Do many of our fellow members smoke very irregularly? By that I mean, I suppose... once in a week, or a month, or less than that even. This leads me to my second question(s): For what reasons do you smoke a pipe in the first place, and what are your reasons for smoking so infrequently?
Personally, I do find that less is more. When I'm able to concentrate my efforts on smoking a pipe three or four times a day, I find more satisfaction than when I smoke, and smoke, and smoke, and smoke- which is most often the case. However, I find that I enjoy smoking a pipe too much to only smoke one once per month.
...I guess if I were to smoke once per week, it would be as some kind of personal reward, or a way to unwind from a particularly stressful event, or conversely, in celebration of decidedly fortunate, or enlightening events...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Thanks so much for a very thoughtful question, Jerod. It got me to thinking about how often I smoke, and information about others on this forum who share their smoking habits. Maybe it's time to set up a table/survey.
For example, I've read a few postings from members who say that they smoke one bowl on the way home from work each day. Perhaps it helps them unwind after a day's work.
Some forum members relate that they're puffing away for most of the waking hours of the day. Does that make them compulsive?
I smoke anywhere from zero to two bowls a day. I guess in my case it depends upon how busy I am, outdoor temperature (sometimes,) reading and relaxing.
It would be interesting to hear from posters who smoke only one bowl a month. Why so infrequently?
Set up the right table, get enough members to respond, and who knows--maybe we could sell the results to the tobacco blenders. :)
But on the less formal side, forum members might wish to respond with their frequency of smoking, why, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I smoke a lot, for me, five or six bowls in a day, the flavors become less distinct and the experience is less

vivid. Alternately, when I take a few days off, I find the bowl I smoke coming back is much more rewarding. A

bowl or two a day, with days off, seems to give the best flavors. Smoking a lot, however you define it for you,

may be more emotionally rewarding, but smoking in moderation is more intense for taste and fragrance, I think.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Great post. I thought the same thing when I read guys that only smoke once or twice a week. Personally, I have found that about 3-4 bowls a day suits me best. Any more than that and it seems to take away from the experience, any less than that and I miss it terribly.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we all know and understand that smoking and enjoying a bowl of tobacco is usually a special time for us. And time it takes. If you don't have the time, or are not in the mood to devote the time and enjoy the bowl as it should be smoked, then chances are, as a responsible and consciences pipe smoker you will put it off until the right time arises.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I usually only smoke if I'm doing something that requires concentration and not a lot of movement. Pipe smoking is great for reading, listening to music or music composition or just thinking things over. I've found it less than satisfactory accompaniment for model building, music playing or other things that required fine motor skills, mostly because I forget to puff while doing those things and the pipe goes out frequently.
So I actually get those quiet times less frequently than I'd like...maybe three times a week for a couple hours at a time, but I savor those times mightily. It is surely a sort of personal reward at this point.
There was a time when four ounces of tobacco would last me a year. I think that was because I was focused more on work and raising my sons more than the finer pleasures of life. Now that my sons are grown and my professional life is sun setting I'm starting to take more time for myself.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
I started smoking pipe about 3 years ago. For me it was to relax in the evening after a hard days work & have been blessed with a great buddy who also started pipe smoking along with me. I usually average about 4 times a week during the warmer season. In the winter I rarely smoke because going outside & freezing doesn't make for a relaxing time in my book. It gets down to -40 here quite often & that is too cold for enjoying anything outside. So in the winter its maybe once or twice a month. This time of the year I really enjoy a nice bowl of some of my favourite as much as I can . Tonight my buddy will be coming over & we will smoke a pipe on the back deck overlooking Lake Nipissing while listening to some great Van Morrison tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.