PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I am a scotch single malt lover who dabbles into bourbon, rum, brandy and particularly rye. I am looking for tasty and interesting alternatives with an eye on saving a few pounds. I see various 'moonshines' sold in mason jars on line and am wondering if they are any good? The avb/proofs are generally low but the flavours sound interesting. Is it worth having a dabble into this or not? Looking for reccomendations, and being based in Scotland, preferably obtainable here.

I would avoid the flavors if it were me. After all, you can just get the plain corn liquor or white lightning and flavor it yourself by floating your fruit or herbs of choice in it.

I live in the hills of central Tennessee and moonshining was and is a regional tradition. The only commercial product I've found that is faithful to authentic "black market" moonshine is Popcorn Sutton's product. It is (I believe) a straight corn liquor and has a tequila-esque flavor that I associate with the best corn liquor available from the locals. Only problem is Popcorn Sutton is over $30 in the stores, while black market moonshine is usually $10-15 per quart, so the commercial product is way overpriced compared to what you receive.

If I'm lucky, I can find liquors with a more adventurous mashbill - a friend has made some mighty fine swill with a barley and corn mash; he finishes it by floating a blackened oak chip in the jar for a month, which does wonders for mellowing the burn and adding a little vanillins from the oak.

Reactions: romaso and Egg Shen

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The cause of toxicity and blindness is typically due to the presence of methanol, acetaldehyde, and fusel oils (higher alcohols), not still material (although lead poisoning isn't fun either). This is why the first little bit coming out of the still is supposed to be discarded.
This 16 year old boy died in 1937 from bad moonshine.

He was a distant relative of mine.

We hillbillies never, forget.

5A732E8A-4F67-4096-B584-7174469D1462.jpeg My folks made me visit that grave when I was just a small child.

There was a book that was a best seller about it in 1944 called Walkn’ Preacher of the Ozarks.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
This 16 year old boy died in 1937 from bad moonshine.

He was a distant relative of mine.

We hillbillies never, forget.

View attachment 161917 My folks made me visit that grave when I was just a small child.
Yep if you’re buying illegal shine buy it from an old timer whose methods are tried and true. Not worth it to try out some Johnny come lately…especially if they seem to be on the low end of the intelligence spectrum

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
I had the opportunity to tour the “moonshine” distillery up in Gatlinburg. I grew up drinking true shine bought from friends of friends, and the mass produced stuff doesn’t compare. It’s low proof, the flavors are sickeningly sweet, and the straight “shine” is closer to Smirnoff than white lightning. You’re better off buying everclear and flavoring it at that rate. If it don’t burn blue, it ain’t true, and all that.

Reactions: romaso and Egg Shen

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen the legal version in ABC stores in N.C. in Mason jars. Not tempted. I think the NASCAR racing circuit originated with drivers who ran the 'shine through the mountains running from the law. Distilling moonshine was a way rural families could rise above subsistence living in the face of low prices for their crops and taxes on their land. It was a grass roots anti-poverty program. It probably still is. My wife's family farms and says they hold jobs to support their farming habit.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Yep if you’re buying illegal shine buy it from an old timer whose methods are tried and true. Not worth it to try out some Johnny come lately…especially if they seem to be on the low end of the intelligence spectrum
The average shot glass is 40ml.

30ml of bad shine put JW Ray six feet under.

20ml only blinds you.

JW was on his way to a church pie supper for Labor Day.

His parents had the most famous Christian preacher in the Ozarks by his bedside.

Guy Howard also was an authority on ballroom dancing.

Howard saved a lot of lives from moonshine, and made more happy with learning the foxtrot and tango.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I would avoid the flavors if it were me. After all, you can just get the plain corn liquor or white lightning and flavor it yourself by floating your fruit or herbs of choice in it.

I live in the hills of central Tennessee and moonshining was and is a regional tradition. The only commercial product I've found that is faithful to authentic "black market" moonshine is Popcorn Sutton's product. It is (I believe) a straight corn liquor and has a tequila-esque flavor that I associate with the best corn liquor available from the locals. Only problem is Popcorn Sutton is over $30 in the stores, while black market moonshine is usually $10-15 per quart, so the commercial product is way overpriced compared to what you receive.

If I'm lucky, I can find liquors with a more adventurous mashbill - a friend has made some mighty fine swill with a barley and corn mash; he finishes it by floating a blackened oak chip in the jar for a month, which does wonders for mellowing the burn and adding a little vanillins from the oak.

Agreed, Popcorn Sutton's legal shine was the only one I've tried that I enjoyed. I don't try any of the other legal shine because it's not hard to find real shine for cheaper. I've never had a bad batch of real shine. I usually avoid the fruited variations unless it's peach because eating a peach that's been soaking in moonshine is a delight.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
here's a good story on the Nascar/ moonshine connection.

This part made me laugh:

The New Yorker has logged more than 300,000 miles, either under Call's foot or that of another driver, and taken several bullet holes in its body. "I had it painted about seven or eight years ago," Call says, "and the boy called me and said, 'You know there's a couple of bullet holes in your car?' I said, no, I sure didn't. I figured out where they came from, though. It was back in the '80s."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Agreed, Popcorn Sutton's legal shine was the only one I've tried that I enjoyed. I don't try any of the other legal shine because it's not hard to find real shine for cheaper. I've never had a bad batch of real shine. I usually avoid the fruited variations unless it's peach because eating a peach that's been soaking in moonshine is a delight.
Thanks - I’ve been curious about Popcorn’s

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Amateur shine is just fine so long as they're dumping the heads and the tails. If you don't, you'll only make that mistake once.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Being from Michigan, I haven’t had much exposure to the real stuff. A friend of mine brought some back from a visit to his extended family in Tennessee which I sampled. I don’t know anything about more the provenance, but I knew enough about his family not to doubt that this was the real deal. It was 20 years ago, but I do remember that it was surprisingly smooth. The flavor seemed pretty boring to me. Certainly not something I’d want to drink without some sort of mixer.

VirginiaMan

Might Stick Around
Nov 28, 2021
Elkview, WV
Quality homemade shine with some fresh fruit put in the jar with for a few weeks is actually great. Being from Appalachia, I have experimented many times.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I am a scotch single malt lover who dabbles into bourbon, rum, brandy and particularly rye. I am looking for tasty and interesting alternatives with an eye on saving a few pounds. I see various 'moonshines' sold in mason jars on line and am wondering if they are any good? The avb/proofs are generally low but the flavours sound interesting. Is it worth having a dabble into this or not? Looking for reccomendations, and being based in Scotland, preferably obtainable here.
The legal over the counter stuff is just
novelty crap - usually neutral grain alcohol with a very sweet flavoring added. Most of it is better served over ice cream than from a glass.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Anajoul

Lurker
Feb 11, 2024
Hi guys! Have you ever come across Mizunara Oak chips? I've been hearing some buzz about that lately. I also saw that it is now available in the USA on MizunaraCraft. com, and I'm curious if anyone here has tried incorporating them into their aging process. I'm all ears for any firsthand experiences or insights you might have!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys! Have you ever come across Mizunara Oak chips? I've been hearing some buzz about that lately. I also saw that it is now available in the USA on MizunaraCraft. com, and I'm curious if anyone here has tried incorporating them into their aging process. I'm all ears for any firsthand experiences or insights you might have!
It's Japanese oak
Became popular due to Suntory using mizunara butts to age some of their whisky and promoting them
Different - yes
Better ? 🤔 Depends on your tastes

Jul 12, 2011

Popcorn Sutton bdw

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don’t have any knowledge or experience with moonshine.

But I love grappa, having been inducted into its delights at high school by an Italian mate with family connections in a grape growing/wine making area

There is a world of difference between the fly-by-the-seat-of your-pants backyard operators, smalltime distillers, large commercial operations and true artisanal producers

As stated by @Briar Lee, death, blindness and hospitalisation is a reality from a bad batch