Leatherman Multitools & Their Imitators.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
About 20 years ago my brother in law showed me his Leatherman Wave tool that he bought whilst working in America. I'd never seen anything like it, I had a Swiss multi tool knife but this thing had pliers....proper pliers too! Not to mention fully locking blades, files, saw etc etc.

I queried the price and if memory serves, I think he said about £100 (over here it would have been about £120)) and that was quite a lot of dough back then.

Anyway, I eventually splashed out on a cheap imitation and proudly told my brother in law what I had.....he laughed and said it wouldn't last 5 minutes before something failed....and he was quite correct....one blade snapped and another was bent from new!

About 5 years later he drove down to Cornwall to pay me a visit and long story short, as he was leaving he gave me his old Wave (plus its lovely branded leather pouch) as he had bought a newer model. I was dead chuffed....and it has not been off my belt since that day.....apart from having it confiscated when in hospital :rolleyes:

Anyway, just out of curiosity I looked for the price of a Leatherman yesterday and was amazed at how many variants were available.....but the biggest shock was the 'top of the line' Leatherman was an incredible £239 from Amazon!!!

Rarely a day goes by where it is not used for something. Anyone else a fan of this super duper super useful multitool?

Regards,

Jay.

PS: I once cut right through a golf ball in the pub using the super sharp saw.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Have two of the originals, this being the second one, given to me by a boss. Never felt the need to upgrade to the Wave, I thought it looked heavier as well. The story I heard was the creator did a proto type to maintain his Volkswagen bus thru Europe and when he got home stated the Company in Portland Oregon.
EE4021A1-A31E-4CCA-8E80-B49356EA8728.jpeg

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit MX
SAK_3-0224-MN_S2.jpg

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Letherman had a good concept, but Gerber had the better execution. I'm not sure about the current Leatherman, but the failure in my opinion of the original was the way the grips would concentrate force aka cut into your hands when using the pliers. Gerber solved this by accessing their sub tools from the underside of the grips so the "flats" are what the user grips. I've carried a Gerber with me every single day for the last 25 or so years. Excluding air travel and the like.

Yes I know i mixed tenses and it annoys me too, but I'm tired

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Leatherman Mini Tool with full size plier. Gerber original multi tool. And few SAK. Rarely carry multi tools. Always have a single blade folder and SAK mini champ. Gerber used to come with me when I used to mow the lawn. Leatherman Mini Tool works, but it's more of "oh! It's neat!" sorta thing.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay, I just like the picture of you in the pub being brought various items to cut in half by tipsy locals..."

Morton, that's pretty much how I came to cut the golf ball in half....someone challenged me to it!

I wonder if my Leatherman is one of the earliest as it is stamped 'Pat Pending'?

John, that ginormous Swiss knife I've seen pictures of, looks very unwieldy. The curly auger like tool (next to the corkscrew), is that for removing ear wax ? :LOL:

Regards,

Jay.