PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
i was browsing accessories when I started a few months ago and thought a tobacco pouch was cool, as is everything with pipe smoking, and not to be left out in this new brotherhood of silver plumes i bought one. My first mistake was thinking I could store my tobacco in it. Not so much. It dried out immediately. As I sat smoking away i thought to myself, what in the shit is this piece of cow for? And the only thing floating around in this vast dome of mine was, TRAVEL, close proximity travel. Like if you were going to a buddys house to puff in piece, or off to the office(bar) for some group discussion. Am i correct on my assumptions?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
You just about have it.

If you are referring to a "leather roll-up", they are good for transporting your tobacco around for a day or so.

I don't believe they're much good for a greater length of time than that.

I personally use one to keep and carry my 1Q in. I only load what I believe I will be able to smoke for a day.

This way I can refrain from opening my jar of 1Q more than once a day.

This way the 1Q in storage remains moist, and the baccy in the pouch has a chance to dry a bit before smoking.
But, Mason Jars a favorite among our members, and me personally I prefer Bail Top Jars for storage and cellaring.

As for day trips... a leather roll up is the way to go.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
well.... i have one. just ordered some jars for storage. the chubby guy on you tube told me too. by the way does the eric guy remind yall of that comedian jim gaffigan?

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Maybe it'll last a little bit longer if you first put the tobacco in a zip-lock bag and then into the pouch?

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
I learned a good bit from watching Eric. Hes one of the reasons i picked up a pipe. And yes your right he does resemble him a bit Cajun.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I have never used one, and don't really plan on it, I just see disaster and overly moist tobacco using one
never had an issue with overly moist tobacco by using them, it usually takes several applications of putting one in a bag/tin/pouch just to get some moisture back in the tobacco.

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I only use one for the amount of smoking I plan to do tha day. I have found that a vinyl roll up works better than the leather and rubber.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
A moist piece of clean sponge in the pouch works too.(1 inch square)

welshwizard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I carry mine because my pipe goes in a separate compartment while the knife goes in another, as for tobacco 8O that stays in the plastic pouch it comes in & stays fresh for weeks.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a pipe/tobacco case. Usually only throw a bowl or two worth of tobacco in the lined pouch part when I take my pipe out and about. Don't think it'd stay too fresh after more than a day. Definitely store tobacco long term in jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.