PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'll consider to have learned pipe smoking when I am able to smoke a full bowl 97 out of 100 times using only a char light and true light; don't even remember what tongue bite feels like; have no worries about what smoke is doing to my mouth; have no more sore throats as a result of my puffing.... I'll leave it there.
Still a looong way to go.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
After two year of full time pipesmoking I think have learned the ropes'no more tongue bites,no more leathery mouth feel, (Dry Your tobacco more than it should & pack the bowl lighter,were the two main crucial points to learn,yet don't puff but rather take slow sips-now always do remember these three guidelines and You'll have enjoyable smoking moments'

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A little more than 4 yrs ago I started with a MM Legend and a bag of ryo just to eliminate paper in my quest for nicotine.

After finding this forum, and then on to many a youtube presentation, I have progressed.

It takes awhile, each at his or her own pace, which is really what it's about anyway.

Many aspects you might not have previously considered can be gleaned from these resources.

Learning to manage expectations and that every bowl is a new experience is ongoing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I started, the internet didn't exist. I started in early Summer '91, and by Christmas of that year I was smoking a pipe without thinking about it, so about six or seven months.

willisk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2018
Chasing embers do you feel that not having internet was a plus? As far as information overload and or misinformation I feel like it could be a hindrance at times!

At least for me b4 I found this forum a simple YouTube or google search brought up tons of different/wrong approaches. And without any knowledge or guidance

One could ruin the experience for good or even ruin there pipe with just one wrong post or video!! Here if you read all the way through the thread you can get a feel for weather the OP

Is providing good information!!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Still learning and exploring.
I'm now more or less learning to "enjoy" the pipe and not as much learning to "smoke". The prior is much more nuanced.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think pipe smoking, like a lot of stuff, is a constant learning. Yes, there are basics to get down, but even experienced smokers can get lax on them and end up having a bad or off bowl.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It took me about a year to figure out how to properly dry, pack, light, and develop a cadence so I didn't burn my mouth. Then it took me about 2 more years to hone that until I felt like I could reliably enjoy my piping. Now, after 20 years of dabbling and 13 years piping in earnest, I feel like I am finally getting to a point where I can reliably smoke a Plug, a Flake, a Shag, a Ribbon, a Cube Cut, or a Krumble Kake with out disaster. While I still seldom have a "perfect smoke," I also almost never have a bad experience either. I would call myself a journeyman at this point. The best things to happen at this level have been knowing how to prep and pack most any tobacco, and not hardly ever experiencing tongue bite, even with Mac Baren! So, I'm not at my destination, but I am happy where I am, and looking forward to the baby steps along the learning curve.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
That took me a couple of months to sort it all out. From there most experiences are different and then it doesn't matter.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I’m learning by using basics , a cob , a nice economy briar and a few good bulk tobaccos
I figure once I get the most out of relaxing with a bowl of 1Q , I’m going to really enjoy moving along to the next conquest
Sort of like learning to handle a VW golf before moving to a 911GT

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Gee, Fred, it's been so long I honestly can't say. I think at the basic level when I started in the late 60s, probably a month or so, but that was basic-basic; i.e., don't burn your tongue, don't relight every 2 minutes, don't set fire to stuff, don't spill hot ashes on the car seat, don't burn your thumb, that sort of thing.
I'm still picking up new tricks from denizens here all the time, so I guess you could say I haven't learned yet.
Bill

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
It didn't take very long to learn how to smoke a pipe. Maybe a couple of attempts. It has taken a much longer time on learning to enjoy the tobacco I'm smoking in my pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.