PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
When I first started smoking I had to smoke outside. I had not smoked much before and there was really no place to smoke so this really wasn't a problem. After we cleaned out the garage this changed and the world of smoking inside was opened. I was able to have a smoke rain or shine and even when it was -30 I just cranked up the heater and kept on puffing. Well, with the move that has all changed. When I signed a contract saying no smoking inside that was precisely what I intended to do. Now, as winter moves in I am experiencing the ramifications of that decision.
Sure, if I want to spend an hour on a bus or a tram I can go smoke in my local B&M but aside from that I am left with only one option...that being smoking outside. Now that is not a problem but when it is cold a nice option is to walk while smoking. This is where the pipe weight started to make itself an issue. Simply stated, when I walk, I clench the pipe. All of the pipes I brought were straight (to save space) and only 2 were at or under 40 grams. Not good for clenching. So I bought a Rattrays which has been better but not great. Then, last weekend I found a Mastro De Paja that weighed in under 30 grams as a full-bent. Heaven to clench.
So, with the change in my smoking conditions I find that many of the pipes I love are a bit too heavy for winter lunting so my collecting focus might just have to shift a bit toward weight. Now that I have a satisfactory rotation of clench-able pipes I can settle back and wait for the right, light pipe to come along.
Just a bit of musing since it has been interesting seeing how my habits have changed with the move.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I really enjoy my small pipes. If you are looking for more pipes that are less than 30g, I highly recommend either Chacom or Sébastien Beo. They tend to specialize in pipes that are smaller, so lighter in weight.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
My Peterson 303 (with replacement fishtail stem) is a clenching machine! It hangs against my chin and I can grip only lightly with my teeth and still have a stable hang. Weight isn't everything.

Aug 1, 2012
Cobs are a good choice but a bit pricey here. I'll have to wait until I get back home and pick up a few of my more clench-able pipes including a few of my cobs. Might just have to pick up a forever stem while I'm at it.
Good call on the CC and Beo. I might have to keep an eye open for them.
A meer has also been calling my name but I'm not sure I want to risk the whole temperature shock thing.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I haven't weighed my pipes, but when I am walking the dog 3x a day I tend to grab lighter pipes. I like bent ones that do a bit of chin resting.
I will get out my food scale and do some research on that now, actually.
Good post!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BC also makes some light weight pipes with plenty of bowl capacity. Savenelli Oscar Lucites are mostly quite light weight.

As is the Stanwell bulldog shape 32, which is supposedly the first shape Stanwell produced.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Peder Jepensson's Neerup line has some great bents that hang well in the jaw. I have a bent apple and pot that are great for clenching.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of really likable small pipes, my home-state carver Jerry Perry, who only sells at the NC State Fair

and the spring pipe show, handed me a sweetheart of a short, light weight clencher at the Fair this year,

with a thick amber saddle stem -- a sort of Rhodesian pot hybrid. I looked at all of his pipes, and I always

like to do, but then took his recommendation. Ample bowl for its size, no pre-carbon in the bowl, a real

pocket pipe and clencher. Then he gave me a discount on his already extra reasonable prices, as a long

time customer.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I have a nice little Chacom Rafting which is my dog walking pipe. Well made etc with a decent chamber size.

Status
Not open for further replies.