PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Hi all,
Just filled my Parker London Briar Poker, roughly size 5, with Presbyterian mixture. The mixture have been sitting 2 months since I opened it the first time. Anyways, I ran into two one-inch leaf stems while grabbing some tobacco out of the tin.
My question is is leaf stems in a ribbon cut mixture or in any mixture a bad quality sign?
Cheers

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It's not a bad thing at all. I found a mid rib stem and the actual ends of the leaf with the curlies and the ribs in the last tin of Grousemoor I opened, I thought it was pretty cool. They smoked just fine. Next time I find some, I'll take a picture.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Getting to the end of the bowl now I haven't experienced any problems. It just felt strange to have these stems among the ribbons. Could maybe result in packing difficulties, but none so far...

Aug 14, 2012
In Peter Stokkebye's autobiography he mentions that stems represent a good portion of the weight of the leaf. I forget how much, but maybe around 20-25%. So if they removed the stems the tobacco would cost considerably more, which his company does not do. Therefore, yes, if there is stem in the blend it is an economy move and stems shouldn't really be there in the more expensive products. If you pay $25 a pound, expect stems.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I'm one of those "fastidious" pipe smokers who grooms my tobacco. (brings back memories of me cleaning cheap weed)
No big deal, I just toss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.