PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
the one from the TWG ?

excellent choice!
on the contrary, I had a very relaxing experience pairing it up with virginia flake as it enhanced the sweetness of the tobacco.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I've heard the tea itself compared to Latakia, I guess the subtle route would be to enhance the sweetness, but as a lat lover more is always better!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm quite familiar with lapsang souchong and it is quite smokey. But I don't know that I'd pair it with latakia (smoke on smoke). I think Pufferisimo is right; a nice Virginia would pair nicely I think.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Tea is quite flexible.

I once had a very good time pairing an aromatic with cherry infused tea.

Other time I matched Earl-Grey with Burley blends
Too bad Im running out of both Lats and Lapsang Souchong,

I'd very interested in pairing them n observe how they goes.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
I love Souchong as well. I prefer it with any virginia forward blend. Some latakia is fine, but plain smoke on smoke is a bit dull.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
+1 on the pu erh recommendation. Although I'm a devout tea lover, I have not grown a liking for Lapsang. The smokiness tends to the herbal side and I just don't seem to have the right mouth pH to make it enjoyable. Still, it will be fun to hear what combinations you find successful! I'm drinking an extremely bright Ceylon right now and it's dancing beautifully with the G.L. Pease Lombard I'm smoking. The citrusy VA's are the perfect match for this tea. and the "breath" of Cyprian Latakia (as Greg puts it) is just enough to broaden the entire smoke. Ahh... tea & a pipe!

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I think the Virginia pairing would be nice.
Have any of you tea lovers tried the Japanese style roasted barley ice tea? It has a lightly smokeynes to it and is very refreshing in the summer. This is one brand, not very exotic or expensive but very good.
http://www.amazon.com/House-Mugicha-Barley-large-bags/dp/B0002BKIRW

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
What brand is your Lapsang Souchong from? My personal recommendation would be to pair it with a lightly sweet Virginia based blend; the character of the tea will serve to highlight and actually amplify citrus & maple syrup type notes. Off the top of my head:

McCranie's Red Ribbon

Orlik Golden Sliced or Honeydew

C&D Manhattan Afternoon
To pair with a Lat blend, stick to a milder one, as the stronger ones will tend to drown the flavor of the tea, pardon the pun. Off the top of my head, GLP Fillmore would be the perfect straddling of blends, and as I recall I did enjoy a L.S. the last time I had a tin of this open--the tiny bit of Lat will serve to set the tone wonderfully.
Regarding pu-erh, there are hundreds of varieties, many of which are also smoke cured, if you're into that flavor spectrum. It takes a little searching or a killer local joint to find them, but worth the effort.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have been interested in the pu-erh. I have a few Asian markets that carry it in the area I live in. I need to go to one for some supplies soon so maybe I will pick one up? Can any one recommend a specific brand or what brands flavors might be.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Rishi Tea and Silk Road Tea carry some of the finest available in this country; the flavor profiles are myriad. To note, however, is the preparation method. This will get you started:
http://www.5min.com/Video/Tea-Tips-Episode-08-Pu-erh-25193286

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Thanks for the info Romeo and Jeff. I might give it a try at a tea shop first before buying a brick of the stuff?
Lots of great stuff available at the Asian markets. I went to Daiso yesterday(Japanese dollar store) and found a cool "mini tube brush" for $1.50. Looks better than the shank brushes at the tobacco stores.
Off topic, look in the freezer section for green onion pancakes. They make a great wrap with grilled beef and cilantro in them!

Status
Not open for further replies.