PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
The Lanatra pipes always catch my eye for many reason but I rarely if ever see them discussed. Does anyone have them? If so why or why not?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Ahhh yes the L'Anatra pipes. With the goose head sticking out of the stem. "Dalle uova d'oro". I've smoked, held and restored a few. A bit larger bowled for my taste but well made. Nice briar. Nice acrylic stems. And the goose.....

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a L'Anatra poker. It's a fistful of briar and a great smoker. They seem to be one of those under-the-radar marques and I don't understand why either.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
L'anatra translates to "the duck". Nice pipes with some interesting treatments. I think a lot of them show a feminine which is a pro in my book.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I clicked on this post because I had no clue what a L'anatra was. Thanks for posting the picture and explaining their goose head piece, really cool stuff.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My L'Antra has smoked wonderfully from the first bowl, but is rather large, so I only reach for it on special occasions.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Tho I've looked at them, I've yet to pull the trigger.
For some reason, when I look at that duck, I'm reminded of Carl Reiner in "The Jerk".

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I don't like the raised bird, but some of their pipes don't have it.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I have two in my herd. Both are excellent smokers. One has the raised bird the other doesn't. If you get the chance, I'd recommend investing in one (or two).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm very happy with mine because it's a big capacity pipe, altho I usually don't fill the bowl completely.

This may not be typical, but I had to smoke well over 100 bowls before it lost that yucky raw wood taste.

That's not an estimate, I actually kept track! Now that it has "come into season" it does a wonderful job with any tobacco.

LAnatraL.jpg

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Wow Cortez - what perseverance to hang in there for 100 bowls! I had a Svendborg that didn't taste too great until I pumped 15 bowls throught it. Likewise with a Luxor. Both now perform quite well and open up the flavors of my VAs.
Maybe the seasoning and age provided by old estates help make them taste better? I once got an old BBB apple that was so heavily caked that a pencil wouldn't go into the bowl. I reamed it a bit and was struck by how gummy the cake was. It was some flamboyantly cherry blend and, needless to say, was quite the ghoster. I worked my way through a dozen or so bowls to harden the cake, then reamed the bowl down to a few mm. After a few more ghosted bowls, the things has become quite a good smoker. I gather the cherry blend owner loved the pipe based on the thickness of the cake.
hp

les

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I was told the duck protuberance is a feature for the US market. The L'Anatra I have has a flush stamping on the stem and may have come from the German market.
hp

les

The Briary actually has a pretty good selection, and they seem to move in and out frequently. But, definitely a niche market. The collectors of Italian pipes seem to go for them, above Savinelli but not quite a Castello. There is actually one that I have been eyeballing for a while, but my lips are sealed until after I pull the trigger, if the trigger is to be pulled. ha ha!!

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
IMHO, the selection of Italien pipes - L'Antra included - is much better on Italien sites and the prices are much lower too.
here

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Someday I'm going to try ordering from Overseas. I don't understand the import tax issue yet.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
You don't owe the VAT. It's that simple. The euro exchange rate is very low and the shipping is cheap and quick. I have ordered from Turkey and from Britain. I am about to order from 2 different Italian sites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The duck hood ornament is a deal breaker for me. It obtrudes, and worse, the little pointy bill would catch on things. It doesn't pique my imagination, though I think it is supposed to. I like animal figures and logos, but this one is in the wrong place, in the wrong way. It's like a fly has landed on the pipe. I know I'm being quirky, but the little duck head doesn't add to the appeal of the pipe for me -- to the contrary. Not all pipes in the line have the duck, but many of the ones I might otherwise consider do.

Status
Not open for further replies.