PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Calf testicles are called prairie oysters here, usually battered and deep fried, served with aioli and Tabasco. For the complete experience you also need to have a "prairie fire" shot with it, which is rye with Tabasco.
The interweb seems to think a “prairie fire” is made with tequila but having grown up in Calgary I feel like the OG is made with rye.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Calf testicles are called prairie oysters here, usually battered and deep fried, served with aioli and Tabasco. For the complete experience you also need to have a "prairie fire" shot with it, which is rye with Tabasco.
I find it interesting that yourself and others mention eating stones with the addition of strong flavoured adjuncts....garlic & Tabasco in your case.

Is this because without such additions they taste awful or because they taste of nothing?

I should imagine they're damned chewy but that's just a guess.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I find it interesting that yourself and others mention eating stones with the addition of strong flavoured adjuncts....garlic & Tabasco in your case.

Is this because without such additions they taste awful or because they taste of nothing?

I should imagine they're damned chewy but that's just a guess.

Regards,

Jay.

Lamb testicles are very tasty and have a relatively soft texture (it’s been many years—certainly not as runny as calf brains, though). The flavour is unique in my experience. I’ve had wonderfully prepared sweetbreads and also find them delicious. But, I’m also a big fan of the various tripe soups as prepared around the world. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I know I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.
But I just can't eat anything weird. I think its a mental thing. I gag just thinking about it.

I would try something new to me if it was well cooked and contained no fat, skin, bone or other nastyness. Duck was my latest adventure in this realm. Pushing the boundaries I know.

I do agree that when an animal is killed for food, it should all be used up, not just the best bits.

I am happy to eat the best bits. Others can eat its love spuds.

Respect to those who do.
Love Spuds - hahahaahaha

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In former times we used the whole animal to our goodness. In our affluent societies we eat the filets. Even on kidney, liver and hearts we wrinkle our nose not to mention the hooves, ears, nose or tongues.
I used to visit a pet shop and buy pig's ears for the dog.

I'm not sure if they had been deep fried or just dried out but they were really hard....and the dog loved them, each ear lasting a good hour's gnawing!

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
There's still plenty of rural USA left to enjoy such delicacies. The descendent neighborhoods of English and German immigrants (not to mention the Italian) are still home to traditional butchers that delve deep in to ancient sausage recipes.
I'll try most anything once - and more often than not I'm at least a bit surprised at how palatable certain things can be prepared.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
All right; here's my simple recipe for lambs testicles :
Ask your supplier the cut them into cubes. Or do it yourselves ; you might enjoy the sensation :)
Warm a liitle olive oil, not too hot . Add pepper&salt and simmer on low temperature . While simmering add cumin seeds and curcuma powder for color and taste. Garlic is optional, better not.
It takes a while, all moisture must be extracted from the cubes. A fried egg, sunny side up, goes well with it.
Serve with good, fresh turkish pide. Texture is firm, somewhat silky and smooth, tofu like.
Tastes like chicken, but "softer" . You'll come back for more.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Swedish blodpudding is one of our traditional foods so I'm not too put off by peculiar british dishes.
Blodpudding.jpg

The cuisine of the UK can't be that bad, Shepherd's pie is one of my favorites.
shepherdspie_2077_16x9.jpg

Then you have Worcestershire sauce which is an ingredient in every decent Bloody Mary.
Plus, it improves almost everything you make.
313706.jpg

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
I’ve had “Alaska Range Oysters” lol…Dall Sheep…it wasn’t exactly my bag….pun intended!

Joking aside, someone who knew what they were doing probably could’ve made them more appetizing.
We didn’t have much to work with at the time nor know how to cook them.