PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Flicking through a cookery book from 1797 I was surprised to see so many recipes (receipts back then) that involved the stones of either calves or lambs. I can't imagine what they taste like and I have no intention of every trying them but back in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries they were regarded as a delicacy.

When on the farm we castrated the lambs they just fell off in the field (we used bands for them) and the birds would snaffle them up but the calves were done with a sharp knife (after a brief anaesthetic) and the stones were tossed to the dog who lapped them up :oops:.

This is part of a recipe for 'Savoury Lamb Pie'...

"Having made a good puff-paste crust, put your meat into it, with a few lamb-stones and sweetbreads seasoned like your meat".

book 8.jpg

I should imagine if one is hungry enough, they'll eat pretty much anything, but I'd have to be at death's door afore I'd consider eating an animal's nuts :eek:

Regards,

Jay.

I was driving through Illinois, close to Winnebago, when we saw a sign on the interstate for a turkey testicle festival. We just had to see what that was all about, so we dropped in. Thousands of people packed in to eat turkey nuts and beer. We didn’t get any, because the lines were insane, but in that part of Illinois they love them things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At a Middle Eastern restaurant in Queens, NY, the proprietor showed us a bin of lamb stones he'd just gotten from the butcher, dark and formless, not a pretty prospect. I just don't like organ meats of any kind -- not chicken or beef liver, brain, hearts, or kidneys. Lamb meat is good to me. Male farm animals have only a long shot chance at having any reproductive fun. Actual oysters I like right well, raw, fried or steamed, but they have gotten so pricey.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow guys, I never expected those replies....so I take it you guys eat those things on a regular basis?

I can just about force myself to eat brawn, I was made to try tripe as a kid and puked my guts up whilst sitting there sobbing my eyes out but nuts....never in a million years. Same goes for sweetbreads (pancreas).

Regards,

Jay.

Aug 1, 2012
Wow guys, I never expected those replies....so I take it you guys eat those things on a regular basis?

I can just about force myself to eat brawn, I was made to try tripe as a kid and puked my guts up whilst sitting there sobbing my eyes out but nuts....never in a million years. Same goes for sweetbreads (pancreas).

Regards,

Jay.
Brawn is rough but doable. It's an acquired taste which I cant blame someone for not acquiring. This is an entirely different taste and texture and is a lot more palatable. Do i eat them regularly? No. I'll eat it if available though.

Now pig trotters on the other hand...yum.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Let me tell you, that mountain oysters, or whatever you want to call them are delicious. Particularly those from turkeys.
I was driving through Illinois, close to Winnebago, when we saw a sign on the interstate for a turkey testicle festival. We just had to see what that was all about, so we dropped in. Thousands of people packed in to eat turkey nuts and beer. We didn’t get any, because the lines were insane, but in that part of Illinois they love them things.

I haven't tried turkey testicles, YET
But have tried quail testicles. They are surprisingly large (about the size of a large grape) for so small a bird.
Interesting, but I didn't go back for seconds 😁

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Regards,

Jay.
Sweatbreads is one of my favourites, very tasty in lasagna too.
Widely available once, nowadays not so much.
Tripe is outright disgusting. Love bloodpudding in winter with fried apples.
The stones not on a regular basis, but every now and then. Will post a good recipe later.
Highly recommended.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I know I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it.
But I just can't eat anything weird. I think its a mental thing. I gag just thinking about it.

I would try something new to me if it was well cooked and contained no fat, skin, bone or other nastyness. Duck was my latest adventure in this realm. Pushing the boundaries I know.

I do agree that when an animal is killed for food, it should all be used up, not just the best bits.

I am happy to eat the best bits. Others can eat its love spuds.

Respect to those who do.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sweatbreads is one of my favourites, very tasty in lasagna too.
Widely available once, nowadays not so much.
Tripe is outright disgusting. Love bloodpudding in winter with fried apples.
The stones not on a regular basis, but every now and then. Will post a good recipe later.
Highly recommended.
Blood pudding (called black pudding over here) I really like, especially sliced & fried in butter :).

Here in Cornwall we have a regional delicacy called hog's pudding which is very similar to black pudding only it's white. I love that raw (it has been cooked at the butcher's) or fried.

"Hog's pudding is a traditional sausage-like meat product from Devon and Cornwall. It is quite spicy and contains flavorings such as basil, garlic, cumin, and black pepper. The sausage is typically prepared with pork meat or offal, pork fat, bread, suet, and either pearl barley or oatmeal".

hogs pud.jpg

I try not to think too much about what the actual meat content is in either black or white pudding as they do say the only part of a pig you can't eat is his squeak :eek:.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
One interesting titbit is that a ram's scrotum & nuts are the biggest of any animal in comparison to its body size!

Also, as mentioned above, prairies oysters were originally raw eggs in vinegar and swallowed to alleviate the effects of too much alcohol (first attested 1879 in Atlanta, Georgia) but in reference to steer's nuts (no mention of sheep) first attested in 1941.

However, Rocky Mountain oysters goes back to 1889 and were also referred to as 'lamb's fries'.

'Lamb's stones' however goes way back to 1615.

Regards,

Jay.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Blood pudding (called black pudding over here) I really like, especially sliced & fried in butter :).

Here in Cornwall we have a regional delicacy called hog's pudding which is very similar to black pudding only it's white. I love that raw (it has been cooked at the butcher's) or fried.

"Hog's pudding is a traditional sausage-like meat product from Devon and Cornwall. It is quite spicy and contains flavorings such as basil, garlic, cumin, and black pepper. The sausage is typically prepared with pork meat or offal, pork fat, bread, suet, and either pearl barley or oatmeal".

View attachment 230130

I try not to think too much about what the actual meat content is in either black or white pudding as they do say the only part of a pig you can't eat is his squeak :eek:.

Regards,

Jay.
Jay,
I mean to type black pudding, but for some reason blood pudding came out :)
Like you, I savour it sliced and fried in good butter. Love it a lot.
The hog's pudding looks delicious, pity we cannot obtain it here.