PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texana

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
Any one out there have any information on an (until now)unknown pipe maker by the name of Lesser Friedlander of London. I recently picked up an absolutely wonderful specimen of one of his so called Telescoping silver mounted meerschaum pipes of which he invented in 1888 and is so advertised in the 1888 Tobacco Trade Directory but that is all I can find out about this pipe maker. He is not even listed anywhere as a pipe maker. His full name was Albert Lesser Friedlander of Houndsditch, London SE and his wife's name was Maria. Apparently pipe making ran in his family because thru research his father was also in the trade.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Yes, a family trade indeed. Here's a post on another Friedlander named Montague Alexander that I made a few years ago: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/friedlander-amp-co-cased-pipe#post-821773
Albert Lesser Friedlander and Montague Alexander Friedlander were first cousins at the very least on their mother's side; Albert's mother was Elizabeth Assur, sister to Montague's mother Sarah Assur. Less clear to me is the link between their fathers, Lessie Peter Friedlander and Alexander Friedlander. I suspect they were brothers or first cousins, but haven't done the digging to find out. In the case of the former, this would make the men double first cousins, not out of the question since marriages between two brothers and two sisters were far from rare in the 19th century.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Hi texana,
I'd like to see this pipe, too. Sounds cool! But it seems you posted only the last part of the URL for the photo, and it isn't showing up.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Additionally, how on earth did you ever find something like that? Inquiring minds (mine) would love to know. Ever since I saw a telescoping stem on another artisans pipes, I've discovered my...shall we say...need...to have one in my collection one day.

texana

Lurker
Apr 16, 2018
If it was ever smoked it was probably once and no more. Just to clean. The amber stem is perfect! Plus, I

can not find any stamped hallmarks anywhere on the pipe. They simply never were there. PERIOD! The Hand Silver Chase Work is way too sharp & clear for any over polishing on this pipe.

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/18152/friedlanderpipe3-450x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.