PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Greetings Gents. So, I just purchased a beautiful Peterson Fermoy (5) fishtail for $108 from smokingpipes.com. I am extremely happy with it. However, I have discovered a slight blemish on it that probably shouldn't even bother me. When looked at in the right light and if you run your finger over it very slowly, you can just tell it is a bit raised. My questions for all of you is: knot in the wood or a fill? Any help would be most appreciated. You can see the black spot I am talking about in the picture below. Thanks for any help!
petersonfill-600x473.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Because of the swirling grain texture, I'd lean toward calling this a knot. Unless it goes through and starts a process in the chamber, I'd count it as a nice embellishment, but my perfectionism is faulty and needs ...a fill.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Thanks for your replies. This picture is really zoomed in. There is another slightly smaller mark (just out of screen shot) very similar to this one but it isn't raised at all. This is why I initially thought it was a knot.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I like Cortez's assessment. I'd say an inclusion which has been incorporated into the wood. A knot. If you like the pipe, keep it. I really don't think it will have any ill effects upon smoking. Besides, it is a good conversation piece for those who are interested in such things. A young lady in a bar may have a different reaction than a pipe club member to the question, "Does this look like a knot to you?" I think it looks fine and adds character. :)
PS - Love your avatar!!

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Here is a pic of the whole pipe. You can see there is a similar marking below which is almost certainly a swirl in the wood. Cant feel it at all. Does this alter anyones opinion?
PS- Thanks mayfair!
petersonfull-600x438.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Does briar have knots? A knot in a piece of wood is the scar left behind after a twig or branch has been cut off...briar has neither twigs nor branches.
Just my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does briar have knots? A knot in a piece of wood is the scar left behind after a twig or branch has been cut off...briar has neither twigs nor branches.
It can if suckers or new trunks begin to grow from it.
Briar_burl.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Just from the photos, the appearance doesn't seem unattractive enough that I would personally send it back. Kind of has it's own unique character.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
That's a really nice looking pipe there! I know you really want to know about the spots but man, if it smokes as good as it looks that's a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.