PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I'm curious about Kiseru but not a real prospect for one. I do want to ask what the duration of smoking a bowl is. Looks like fifteen or twenty minutes which doesn't seem like time to relax and meditate to me, though as part of a ritual it might be an abbreviated part. If that were all I had, I might become good at it. I have had some prolonged smokes in Group 1 or 2 (smallest) briar pipes using flake cut that lasted much longer than expected.
Maybe a little longer with practice. The larger bowls on the Papa-San kiseru are about 7/8ths of an inch across.
There is a papa-San kiseru on eBay at a buy it now price of $45, about 25” long and never used. (Free shipping)
I already have two of them, but I don’t see them for sale very often.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Where would you buy a brand new kiseru?
Outside of Japan, I think there are other suppliers in Asia, but I assume that you’re not that interested in mass production of standard models. Something like the one I mentioned that somebody brought home as a souvenir and never used might be your best bet. Solid metal instead of plated and made by Japanese craftsmen who specialized and took pride in their work. Brass is not uncommon, but the better ones are often made of silver and the pipestem can be very nicely decorated.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't know for sure if my great uncle smoked opium in his kiseru but he lived in the Philippines in the first half of the 20th century having moved there after suffering a head injury in WWI. Also have a small ornate brass box with old white residue and have speculated he used opium due to chronic pain.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
To me it's more about the process, You have to ball up a pinch of tobacco, light the cedar split on the candle, get it going then take 4 of 5 puffs. Then you also need a bamboo cup to knock the tobacco ash into. Kinda like the tea ceremony thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the actual tobacco, so this may be a dumb question, but can't you just dry out and grind up any quality leaf? Seems like that would work, or even most shag cut.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I don't have a kiseru, but if i would have one. I would just extra fine shag cut a plug for it, instead of buying kioki tobacco ( if i can't get the japanese tobacco).

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I don't know the actual tobacco, so this may be a dumb question, but can't you just dry out and grind up any quality leaf? Seems like that would work, or even most shag cut.
I saw a reference some time ago that said some kiseru smokers in Japan were actually buying cigarettes and then using the tobacco from them in their pipes. :rolleyes:
I think that just about any of us could work up a more viable alternative with all of the quality tobacco that we have on hand!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Here’s a thought that might work, though I haven’t tried it yet.
Unspooling a coin of Escudo (which are sliced very thin!) would give us a small pile of very thin cut quality tobacco.
Certainly that would be enough for a bowl or two in a Papa-San kiseru and even more in one of the smaller pipes. puffy

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Not at all. First, kizami is a really fine cut, it looks like hair. Second, the tobacco is a Virginia tobacco that has acclimated to being grown in Japan, and has an entirely different flavor profile than anything else I have ever smoked. A good example is Semois for those who have had it. It has taken on its own life and there is nothing else quite like it. These alternatives are fine if you have never had real kizami, but once you have tried the real thing, it is impossible to replicate. That is why I sent some around in our box pass a couple of years ago, including a small kiseru for people to try it in.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Tsuge makes a modern kiseruish version made with sandblasted briar

Tsuge Ichirin Sandblasted Bamboo Dublin | Buy Tsuge Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=326021

Tabac Manil Le Petit Robin is probably the closest thing you could get easily, cut-wise to that crazy hairball tobacco. No idea how it compares flavor wise.

Yep, I have that pipe. It's pretty cool, although I wish the bowl was just a tiny bit bigger. It's good for about a quick 10 minute smoke. A fine shag cut definitely works best--I like it for Tabac Manil and my G.H.& Co. Dark Bird's Eye.

Reactions: anotherbob

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Man if they were about 30 dollars less id think about it. Haha I can't justify spending that much on a pipe like that!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Man if they were about 30 dollars less id think about it. Haha I can't justify spending that much on a pipe like that!
Haha, they are eerily similar to an extremely long version of the cheap old metal dope smokers, hahaha. You could probably build one out of plumbing equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.