PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Though I don't know a great deal about them, the Falcon pipes are also their own large and well-populated world, and in my experience, as with Kirstens, smokers who love Falcons LOVE them.
Falcon even made a special edition pipe with a gold-plated shank, meerschaum-lined bowl of old briar, and a clouded amber stem. I think Kirsten's closest equivalent were the freehand bowls, though there's a rumor that some modern special edition Kirstens might happen someday.
New addition to my collection as of Tuesday: a brand new Mandarin-shape bowl, turned but completely unfinished because, after turning, a flaw (a big seam or crack) was found in it. It's not smokable, but I think it's a nifty thing to have, showing that their quality control is high.

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
Samrvior, that's an amazing collection-- I'd love to see a big group shot of everything! Did the body which came with your freehand bowl have a name engraved on it? As far as I know, most if not all of those were given away or sold to important people in the pipe biz; I cannot put a large picture right now, away from home, but will do so, at first chance, in the meantime, I will share some large groups, I have done so before, as I run a Facebook group call Metal Pipe Smokers and I show just about everything I do with Kirstens there.

I'd love to find a Kirsten reamer. Fleebay has a couple right now.
The other thing I really want to find is a brasstone Esquire or, if I really can't find that, a Regent-- this'd be the 90s-2000s metallic brasstone. Unfortunately, my budget is never very high. The new black Designer I said that I bought this week was an enormous stretch. Oh, well, keep your hopes so!!!

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
Did the body which came with your freehand bowl have a name engraved on it? As far as I know, most if not all of those were given away or sold to important people in the pipe biz. YES
Robert F Chartrand

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
Richard Friedman, who also happens to own a few of them, despite the fact, that he makes great pipes.
Owns an original freehand, He got it straight from the old store on Fishermens Terminal near the old Ballard Bridge.
I will post it for you, and do not think, Richard would mind at all.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I don't know who Robert Chartrand was, but that's a beaut, as is Mr. Friedman's. Gorgeous, those. I don't know how many were produced, but the average of the estimates I've heard is about 100.
This isn't the greatest photo, but here is mine. It's engraved "Paul Reasoner." Has the antiqued silver 'Heritage' finish.

OTaiddg.jpg

Another thing I'd love to have is a Kirsten catalog. I got some around 2008, gave them to people, realized I had none myself, went back to get another, and they had no more. They were a tri-fold in color, quite spiffy.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Kirstens are in stock in Anchorage! 7 pipe came in.

The one not pictured is the black designer full bent with a lattice meerschaum bowl. Also some O rings.
They are real!
Still like my estate ones, the finish on the new ones will take some getting used to, but will soon add a new one to my growing collection.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It took me a month to find one like this but I ordered this estate Kirsten from Smokingpipes.com today. This will be my second one and I'll be camping out at the mailbox until it gets here!
kirsten%20bent_zpsvgo4snq9.jpg

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
I just found out about these pipes today. I'm considering the Kirsten Jewel with bulldog bowl? Are these pipes good smokers? Thanks.

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
I have been meaning to update, but my photobucket account has been hacked and cannot access it. but I have received my new pipes and I have made a recap of the pipes and accessories. will try to post as soon as possible.

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
I hope the make a Type III hard anodized model. That with a black rusticated bowl would look awesome.

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
Designers Black: 3rd and 4th Generations.
Weight approximately 70 grams, both, without bowls.
Total Length: 3rd Gen 5 1/2" with a stem of 4".
4th Gen same length but a shorter stem of 3 3/4".
Physical design as pictures shown, the upper hole of the shank, has deeper grooves. Fins remained the same on both, as to provide the cooling effect.
The ionized black finishing on the 4th seems a bit coarse to the touch, while the 3rd is smooth.
3rd Gen has a Standard Valve and the 4th has a Pedestal Valve but full accessories compatibility between the two of them is guaranteed by accepting the hollow thread universal Cup adapter and Large O-rings size.
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/sjrrv/IMG_0333_zpsmnijgwlm.jpg

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/sjrrv/IMG_0317_zps6r7bpxbr.jpg

samrvior

Lurker
Dec 2, 2012
My present state of affairs Kirsten.
L2R Pedestal Valves: 2nd Gen. Western X Heritage (Brass Mate finishing) with Original Freehand Bowl; 3rd Gen. Esquire (Mate Finishing) with Morta Bowl; 4th Gen. Designer Black with Meerschaum Bowl.
Standard Valve: 2nd Gen. Beau Geste X Heritage (Brushed Silver finishing) with Original Danish Tulip Bowl Semi-rusticated; 3rd Gen Designer Black with Original XL Rusticated bowl.

Assorted bowls; Original Briars, Olivewood, Cherrywood, Corncobs.
Jiffy Cleaning Set (Brush)
First and Second Generation Reamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.