PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Depending on who you believe, tobacco twists marketed as chewing tobacco are either blasphemous in regards to pipe smoking or just twists that need some drying time to make them smokable. To be honest, most people fall into the first category but that it not important at the moment. As someone with to much time on my hands, not enough common sense, and a rather untrusting nature, I figured I would try some and find out. I got a couple of different ones, King B Sweet and Red Ox. Decided to start with King B.

The tin note (really a plastic bag but tin note sounds better) was a mixture of a sweet scent and tobacco. Twist was quite pliable (that could be normal, never smoked twist) and sticky, obviously from what ever it got the sweet part of its name from. Some moisture but far less than some aros I have tried. Cut some coins with a cigar cutter and set them out to dry. That was at about an hour ago. Planned smoking time, 1:00 pm tomorrow.

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
That was an interesting undertaking. First, in my opinion, it is a good tobacco. There was no sweet flavor which no doubt was lost in the drying process. Will have to see if I can get some with less drying time to burn. While I don’t have the palate to do reviews like @JimInks , I can usually pick out hints of different flavors in tobaccos. What surprised me the most was that for the first few minutes there was only one flavor, tobacco. It was great. Unlike anything I have ever smoked. All I can figure was the only casing used was the sweetener which had evaporated. After the first few minutes a distinct black pepper taste appeared which did gain enough strength to cause a little mouth tingle but was not off putting.
Was surprised by the pure tobacco taste, the fact that it wasn’t a nicotine bomb, and how cool it burned. Only downside was it stubborn about not wanting to stay lit at the beginning.
Will definitely be keeping a twist or two around in the future.

@Ahi Ka : It appeared to me to be just a rolled leaf.

Critter02

Lurker
Mar 18, 2023
I just got in a case of king b to chew. Was so moist I didn't try to smoke it. Very good in the cheek chewing though. Sweet too.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Depending on who you believe, tobacco twists marketed as chewing tobacco are either blasphemous in regards to pipe smoking or just twists that need some drying time to make them smokable. To be honest, most people fall into the first category but that it not important at the moment. As someone with to much time on my hands, not enough common sense, and a rather untrusting nature, I figured I would try some and find out. I got a couple of different ones, King B Sweet and Red Ox. Decided to start with King B.

The tin note (really a plastic bag but tin note sounds better) was a mixture of a sweet scent and tobacco. Twist was quite pliable (that could be normal, never smoked twist) and sticky, obviously from what ever it got the sweet part of its name from. Some moisture but far less than some aros I have tried. Cut some coins with a cigar cutter and set them out to dry. That was at about an hour ago. Planned smoking time, 1:00 pm tomorrow.
Thanks for posting this. I had the same thought and picked up a couple as well, Kentucky Twist and Mammoth Cave. Haven't got around to either of them yet as its just too cold and windy outside most of the time right now. I'll give them a try in a month or two and report back.