PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I got a half pound of my favorite tobacco at my B&M today as another Christmas present from my brother in law. When the lad behind the counter opened the cabinet I saw the huge bag had a Peter Stokebye label. I inquired I they blended their own or just bought from Stokebye. He said they just by it pre blended from Stokebye. The reason I'm upset is because I've been paying $65 a pound for tobacco that I can pay $27 a pound for on smokingpipes.com!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
You got to think tho they have overhead, licenses, and taxes to contend with. I can get a tin of mac baren ODF for $22 at my B&M or $11 online. But i cant smoke at my online store or surf the internet or have the comraderie and friendship at the online store. Just something to think about.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
True that a local store will be more expensive than buying from an online retailer, but it's good for the economy and for the sake of other smokers having a place to go and the community having local business!

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@hawk this place really isn't welcoming to pipes smokers. Now if you're a cigar guy they are but pipes not so much. And the people at the counter treat you like it's Kmart. Kinda like if you're not smoking a cigar then get you're stuff and get out type deal.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Kinda like if you're not smoking a cigar then get you're stuff and get out type deal
My local B&M, Mission Pipe, had a sign up at their counter saying, in more polite words, that you're not welcome in our smoking lounge unless you just bought a cigar.
Meh. It did take the place 15 years of allowing anyone to hang out there before they did that, but, sheesh, it's still kinda lousy. Is business that bad? Have the owners become that snobbish? Have the clientele been that imposing?
I haven't bought pipe tobacco there in almost a year now. They don't have that great of a selection anyhow. Now they do have a nice collection of pipes to look at, which is about the only reason left for me to go there.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
i think the OP is brining up a good concern here. I have been profoundly disappointed in the stores here in WA state. They are mainly cigar stores and don't know jack about Pipes, pipe tobacco or anything else. I am not confusing courteous good service for knowledge. I had yet another major let down at a retail store in Puyallup WA. High prices and low knowledge dont add up in my book.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I just wish they were more knowledgable and friendly. Then paying more wouldn't bother me. One instance comes to mind was when a lad working insisted that Eiliens Dream was te exact same thing as Irish flake.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I feel where your coming from, I try to do business at my local B&M's, but for any bulk ordering have to buy online. It just simple math unfortunately. Once the gov't starts taxing online tobacco purchases then B&M's will be competitive again, although I hope that day never comes, we all know that the check is in the mail.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
It always boggles my mind to hear retail stories like this. Why would you alienate existing and potential customers at all? Weird.

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
Retail service. When I drive to my local smoke shop and walk through the door, I demand full attention. I will not stick around if the person I'm working with has to answer the phone when I'm already talking to the guy. I try to know what a good price is for the most part. I found that 30% above cost is about what the norm is here. The tax is the real killer and a whole other story. My local shop is high at first look but, some things there you can't get on line. Cigars are their bread and butter.

My shop tells us to bring a pipe in and fill it to the top with any of the 50 blends there as a free sample. The cigar smoke in there is too heavy for me to try to smoke a pipe there. Some sale items are lower than on line at times. The best thing is that they know what I like and when they get a deal in I at times get a deal as well.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
If they're not knowledgeable, courteous, and they're over priced. I would take my business elsewhere, but that's just me. I wouldn't pay more when the experience isn't very satisfying. If it were a good place to sit down with your pipe and talk with fellow pipe smokers, I think it would be worth a bit extra.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I went to a B&M recently, after a one hour drive due to nothing in my immediate area. I walked in with $100, and wasn't expecting prices to be so high. One of the guys behind the counter started showing me some pipes. I told him I had to keep it under $100. He seemed a bit bothered that I had a budget. I kept asking for different pipes, due to preference, and price. I then asked about tobacco, which I found ranged anywhere from $17 to $30 for a two ounce tin. I was irritated with the whole ordeal, but settled for a pipe that ate up my budget. I like the pipe, but am questioning going back due to the thought that I was a hassle to the guy.
In my old home town, there was a local tobacconist that blends everything himself. I think I paid $23 for an English blend there. That guy is real cool. He'll BS with you for pretty much as long as you want. He's always friendly, and never seems bothered. I had my friend (who doesn't smoke)pick something up from there recently, since he was coming to visit, and he told me the owner talked to him for half an hour. I'd much rather spend my money in a place like that.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I missed something. I didn't mention how much I paid for. I paid $23 for two ounces. Anyhow, my point is I'd still rather go there than a place charging the same prices, but offering poor customer service.

tomdavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2011
Houston TX
I understand and have been "there". Here in Houston, the 4th largest city in the USA, there are really only three B&M's, Two have pipes and bulk tobacco and some tins but are really in the cigar business and cater to those buyers. One even took down the pipe shop sign and now it says CIGARS. Clerks are nice enough but I am sure they are spending their buying time on cigars and not pipes. Prices are ok but feel a little high.
If you are ever in Houston stop in at the Briar Shoppe in Rice Village. They have cigars and a great walk-in humidor while pipes are in two long glass cases and also hanging on the wall. Lots of bulk and some with the original blenders name. They do not mind telling you the name of blender. Prices are not as cheap as online but there is not much difference if I only want a few ounces or one tin. I am not associated with the store but maybe other store reps are reading this and need to know of one that works where pipes and cigars are marketed in balance and they have good business with both markets.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I find a lot of B&Ms tend to not be knowledgeable. I'm fortunate to have a knowledgable B&M with knowledgable repair people. Being from Columbus Ohio the B&M uses Tim west for repairs. Selection is small but always a rotation of fresh estate pipes and usually some new ones here and there. I agree I don't like paying double or even triple but I do my best to support the local economy. Also, I can go in and smoke whenever without buying something even though I usually pick up something

Status
Not open for further replies.