PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
It's been a shite day.
I was splitting some units of lumber at work. This involves a massive hydraulically operated machine, essentially two horizontally opposed rams with "L" shaped platforms at the end. Well, one of the lines cut loose, spraying hydraulic fluid EVERYWHERE. Including all over my pipe and down into the bowl. Seeped straight into the cake and the 3/4's of a bowl of University Flake I had left. I tossed the damn thing. After I fixed the line I grabbed my MM Legend out of the truck, kept that going for the rest of the shift without incident.
I punch out and leave. Fire up some ODF in the cob. Just about home and a deer runs out of the woods right in front of my truck. Didn't even have time to tromp on the brakes. Hit the deer, bite straight through the stem. Cracked the grille but the radiator is intact. Cut the buck's throat and threw it into the bed and went home.
So I'm out two cobs today, but I've got 150lbs of venison that I need to butcher in the morning.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Well it's an '83 so the grille's a bit hard to find. LMC wants 70 for the standard and 180 for the billet, but I'll be hunting in my local junkyard in the morning.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
Sorry you had such a bad day! Of course, I might consider it all worthwhile for a freezer's worth of venison….

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
They say bad luck comes in threes, and in your case it was true: two pipes and a truck. I hope you have better days ahead.
You've reminded me I have some venison left in the freezer, and it still being bitterly cold outside here ... it's a good day to make a stew.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
What you didn't like University Flake ISO32 it used to be may favorite when I worked on heavy equipment .You just cant beat a low foaming tobacco blend . :rofl:

petersonson

Might Stick Around
Mar 28, 2013
Cleveland, TN
Wow, between this day, and the day you were pulled by the trooper, my month is great! I drive and 88 S10 Blazer and had somewhat of the same problem you are. I ended up doing a bit of backwoods engineering but only I would notice. Anyway, glad to hear you are ok. At least cobs are cheap and easy to come by.
Igloo: Still laughing, I needed that.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
On the bright side, a nice bowl of your favorite blend is really going to taste great after a hefty serving of venison chili! Sorry your day was so sucky. Hope things take a positive turn for you.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Good news! Found a grille in the junkyard for 20. As far as the venison goes I'm smoking the tenderloins this weekend, got some apple wood special for it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Glad you found the grill to patch up the truck. I had the same thing happen with my truck only it punctured my air conditioning radiator. But hey, you get to enjoy some deer jerky out of season, maybe with some beer too?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Dang what a day, but like the theme song from that 80's TV sitcom "The Facts of Life"; you take the good you take the bad. LOL
As far as the deer goes, around these parts you would have to waste a deer tag on that or leave it for the cougars, bears, and/or coyotes etc. Our fish and wildlife officers don't mess around and that's a huge fine. Enjoy your venison. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.