PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Fridged ketchup here. Used to buy Heinz forever. Heinz had also been a major employer in the province and utilized Canadian tomatoes. Heinz moved production south and a lot of jobs were lost. French’s capitalized on the anti Heinz sentiment and promoted local Canadian production. French’s family now.

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Fridged ketchup here. Used to buy Heinz forever. Heinz had also been a major employer in the province and utilized Canadian tomatoes. Heinz moved production south and a lot of jobs were lost. French’s capitalized on the anti Heinz sentiment and promoted local Canadian production. French’s family now.
Used to be able to smell it out on Lake Erie when we were walleye fishing.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Rarely use ketchup. Occasionally do use tomato paste. But, it's been awhile. There used to be a Japanese recipe that used tomato ketchup. But, bit of tomato paste will "kick it up" a notch.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup (the only brand I like) which states "Use By Jun 2018" (I just checked) and it tastes just as perfect today as when I bought it back in ~2017 :oops:.

This stuff just keeps (in the fridge) forever.....is it the sugar, is it the salt or is it the vinegar? I really don't know but I reckon my (large) bottle will probably see me out!

Regards,

Jay.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No rules! I won’t eat the very occasional cased pork cylinder of mixed body parts and rat droppings without ketchup and mustard. Ketchup on fried eggs, mustard on scrambled. Ketchup and mustard on burgers. Ketchup on fried potatoes. Heinz 57 on breakfast sausage. Ketchup in my chili recipe and barbecue sauce. One of the reasons we never worry about it in the pantry is it doesn’t last long. If I get a decent crop of tomatoes this year I’m going to try and make a little.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Ketchup or Catsup, for you devotees of the arcane, is best kept in the fridge once the container is opened.
Even my mother knew that and she spent decades growing various forms of alien life in her various fridges.
Haha, my mom would put honey and soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce in the refrigerator! I got disabused of the put everything in the fridge by a long ago girlfriend - her mom kept butter out all the time even though it came from the refrigerator section. I can’t go that far but have learned to set it out for awhile. All a matter of preference, but I like my condiments room temp.

Moms …. I started doing a fair amount my own laundry at 16 when Mom ran a wool sweater I’d just bought for myself through the dryer - she thought everything went in the dryer!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've long since fallen in step with the idea (catechism?) that catsup on hotdogs is verboten, though in my ignorant youth, despite growing up near the high church of hotdogs, Chicago, I'd put catsup on there with everything else on the condiment shelf, from chili to horseradish.

Now I go with the local hot dog stand's prescriptive meat chili, onions, and mustard, and I'd take relish if it was offered.

As a U.S. sailor on liberty in uniform in Hong Kong, I found out that anything you ordered at a restaurant or diner, the wait person would pro forma plant a bottle of catsup in front of you ... even if you were just having a cup of coffee. Yankees wanted catsup, no matter what. Don't ask. That was back in the days when Hong Kong was a British Crown Colony. The school kids all wore blue blazers and neckties.

I saw the best and biggest parade of my life when I, totally uninformed, took the boat to Kowloon and encountered a Chinese New Year parade that went on for hours attended by about sixty thousand people.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Let's see...I suppose that if you have any old McClelland Virginia yobaccos that are starting to lose their aromas, then you might boost them with it :).

I prefer Hunt's, as its ingredients do not include high-fructose corn syrup, and I store it in the refrigerator.
Heinz makes a no fructose corn syrup version!

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant