PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Two reasons for keeping Ketchup in the fridge.

1. Slows oxidation, keeps it fresher tasting and slows degradation of flavours over time.
2. Although Ketchup PH is ~3.7 making pathogenic bacteria an unlikely resident, it's not impossible. Also Mould growth, is severely inhibited at refrigeration temps (~4°C) and is far more likely at 'room temp'.

but freedom of choice is a wonderful thing! :LOL:

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
There is no need for Americans to take a look at South Africa. But there ladies and gentlemen I found the best tomato sauce I ever, ever tasted in my livetime and I know a lot of different brands from the 1960s onwards. It’s „All Gold“ tomato sauce.
We tasted 6 of SA’s best tomato sauces: did your favourite one win? - https://www.food24.com/we-tasted-6-of-sas-best-tomato-sauces-did-your-favourite-one-win/

It’s thick and creamy like some we got in the 1970s with just the right amount of tomato sweetness an vinegar sour.

In our German fridge is a bottle of Heinz. I’m not a big fan. Yes of course we throw it in the fridge, we don’t use it that much, sometimes it has to stay about a year or longer, cooling it down prolongs the freshness of course as In any other food.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jan 27, 2020
There is no need for Americans to take a look at South Africa. But there ladies and gentlemen I found the best tomato sauce I ever, ever tasted in my livetime and I know a lot of different brands from the 1960s onwards. It’s „All Gold“ tomato sauce.
We tasted 6 of SA’s best tomato sauces: did your favourite one win? - https://www.food24.com/we-tasted-6-of-sas-best-tomato-sauces-did-your-favourite-one-win/

It’s thick and creamy like some we got in the 1970s with just the right amount of tomato sweetness an vinegar sour.

In our German fridge is a bottle of Heinz. I’m not a big fan. Yes of course we throw it in the fridge, we don’t use it that much, sometimes it has to stay about a year or longer, cooling it down prolongs the freshness of course as In any other food.

I haven't tried any of those but this is my go to. I buy it at an Uzbek supermarket here for $6 or so.

Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/Satsebeli-Homestyle-10-59oz-Traditional-Georgian/dp/B08W4KF2KJ

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
When I was a kid, my father used to cook chicken wings (flats) in the wok with Heinz ketchup and onions; the high heat and onions change the flavour quite a bit—I’ve made the dish with Vidalia onions as one of the ten or so courses using my father’s recipes when I’ve hosted Chinese New Year banquet dinners for family and friends—most people are very surprised it’s made with ketchup because it doesn’t taste like it.

We refrigerate ketchup, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. Years ago, I remember seeing waitresses topping off bottles at the counter and booths of a local diner. Those bottles never went in the fridge.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant