PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
$15 from Smoking Pipes.

When I was 14 years old in 1972, Nellie Butcher, owner of The Humansville Recreation Hall, sold several brands of cigarettes, without the slightest hesitation to me, on account of my tender age.

Tonight I just realized where the intoxicating, wonderful, indescribably good smell of a freshly opened pack of Marlboro King Size filters came from. Phillip Morris must have stolen or somehow aquired the secret Lakeland sauce used in Kendal Cream Flake.

Kendal Cream Flake tastes and smells like Marlboro reds.

KC Flakes are as mild, fragrant, and inhalable as a Marlboro, as well.

Highly recommended for wayward youth and old codgers, remembering when smoking was something new, and a previously forbidden pleasure of adulthood.

A94C3501-828C-4907-85BD-504A19DDCB38.jpegEF4A8355-A2F2-4482-B3D1-CD15F63914DC.jpegE9667ADB-FDE4-491C-9EF9-D950E86D4FE7.jpeg4DFB192B-4C48-4431-BEF1-E9AD64FCF4D0.jpeg

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I never smoked cigarettes. As close as I came was curiously purchasing Winstons, Camels, etc etc —at .45 cents per pack,as a teen and you’re right, never a question.

However, your description doesn’t have me running out to try Kendal Flake, yet.

Burning cigarettes 🚬 smell disgusting to me. Maybe it’s the paper? Additives? I don’t know, but I’ve always found them repulsive. Even to this day.

But I think most people would find the smell of a freshly opened pack of cigarettes pleasurable.

For those who can’t relate to the “taste of Marlboros”. Can you describe Kendal Flake in Pipe terms?

Curious about the Lakeland blends

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I never smoked cigarettes. As close as I came was curiously purchasing Winstons, Camels, etc etc —at .45 cents per pack,as a teen and you’re right, never a question.

Burning cigarettes 🚬 smell disgusting to me. Maybe it’s the paper? Additives? I don’t know, but I’ve always found them repulsive. Even to this day.

But I think most people would find the smell of a freshly opened pack of cigarettes pleasurable.

For those who can’t relate to the “taste of Marlboros”. Can you describe Kendal Flake in Pipe terms?

I’ve tried three Lakeland tins so far, Ennerdale, Grousemoor, and KC Flake.

Our Lakeland friends must have had the same marketing American companies did, back in the day, for OTC brands.

Ennerdale and Grousemoor taste like, Ennerdale and Grousemoor.:)

And while they taste good, by far I prefer KC Flakes. I’ll be ordering more tins, a pound if I can buy a pound.

To describe it in pipe terms, the closest is Half and Half, with Marlboro sauce added.:)

KC Flakes has a delicious proprietary sauce added, and a lot of it, to Virginia and burley tobaccos.

You must try it, to describe it.

If the other manufacturers could duplicate KC Flake sauce, they would.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I am sure a big part of it is the additives. Mainly assume this from smelling cigarettes that don't have additives (usually countries that have rules like you can't add formaldehyde and things like that to things people ingest), and finding the smell almost pleasing instead of gross.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The description of “tastes like Marlboro reds” does NOT entice me. So what does this taste like?

Sweet? Nutty? Floral? Earthy?
Peppery

It’s the same sauce Phillip Morris used to hook the whole world on Marlboro

Deee-liccious!.:(

One difference is, a Marlboro does not taste as good as the package whiff smells, and KC Flakes are way, way better than the tin note.

If I had to guess, there’s anise and some kind of mint in the flavoring sauce used.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
While I very much enjoy Kendal Cream Flake, I’m afraid I don’t see any connection between this rich, Lakeland-flavored blend and an American cigarette. And I’m perplexed that this blend could be sampled without any comment whatsoever about the flavors that make Lakelands so unique and interesting.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
While I very much enjoy Kendal Cream Flake, I’m afraid I don’t see any connection between this rich, Lakeland-flavored blend and an American cigarette. And I’m perplexed that this blend could be sampled without any comment whatsoever about the flavors that make Lakelands so unique and interesting.
The Lakeland flavors are totally indescribable to my American palate.

But, I love ‘em. All three I’ve tried so far.

I can’t imagine the wealthy carriage trade ever raving about Lakeland tobaccos. They aren’t nuanced, subtle or intended for the connoisseur.

Lakelands get their distinctive, delicious, wonderful tastes from their distinctive flavorings.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Briar Lee: Have you any concept of what went into 19th century tobaccos? One blend called for the addition of asbestos so that it produced a fine white ash. The toppings used in some of the local blends was damn right dangerous. Gawith produced Plug and Twist for the local market and the mining community. The fact that they used Rose Geranium among other things made their products at least not a total danger to life and limb. There exists somewhere on this forum a link I sent many ears ago to ash digger for one of these 19th century tobacco almanacs and it would make your hair stand on end!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I do not agree, nor do I even know how to respond. It’s like hearing that milk tastes like bourbon. Like trees are the same as dogs, or steak tastes like rhubarb pie. I’m totally at a loss for words.

I’m certain the first salad I ate was dressed with Ott’s Famous Dressing.

I was half grown, before I realized there was any other salad dressing, than Ott’s.:)

Ott’s was, and even somewhat is today, a regional favorite dressing made in Carthage, Missouri that folks not raised up Ozark American label as French dressing.

It ain’t French, it’s Ott’s. French dressing is a poor substitute for Ott’s.:)

Over in England, I’ll bet they don’t have Ott’s.

And we don’t have Lakelands over here.

The man who is the keeper of the Lakeland sauces, is on this forum. We are truly blessed by his presence.

But I could as easily describe the taste of Old Crow bourbon to a teetotaler as describe Ott’s or Lakelands to somebody who hasn’t tried them.:)

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've not tried any Lakeland blends.

At high school nearly every pupil on the school bus smoked Marlboro.
Not me [I smoked Peter Stuyvesant, Rothmans or Benson & Hedges].

Did not like Marlboro.
If my memory serves correct, what made Marlboro different than most other brands was that it contained Turkish tobacco.
Maybe it's a floral note from that leaf that reminds you of a Lakeland?

Idk, just a stab in the dark.