PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
buroak,
Your caution is well justified, synthetic ruby began appearing in the early twenties. Only way to know is to take it to a jeweler. :)
Last pics of Flame Grain Kaywoodie
hpim3939-600x490.jpg

hpim3935-600x447.jpg

hpim3933-600x447.jpg

hpim3936-600x407.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Buroak, I have a conundrum. I have a Drinkless Thorn Dublin with the KBB stamp in the clover on the shank, which you indicated would date it to 1933 or earlier. However, the model number is 09 and the four hole stinger is without a patent number. The stem has the solid white elongated clover. The stinger and model number would place it in the 1936-WWII period, as I understand it. If I had to bet, I'd lean toward the 1936-1939 period. There is no plain model 09 in the 1936 catalogue.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks ashdigger! The sandblast is very nicely done. I thought the pipes from that era had 4-digit numbers, though.
I'm wondering about removing the oxidation from the stem and protecting the cloverleaf. Does anyone know if that's an inlay or just paint? In other words, is it safe to abrade?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry to be so late to the party, but I am loving the revival of interest in KB&B and Kaywoodie. Craiginthecorn, Kaywoodie went from two-digit codes to four-digit codes, then back to two-digit codes. I would say yours belongs to the first period, 1925-1929.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks buroak. I finished my restoration of that 09 Thorn and it's very handsome and smokes very well. I'm a convert to KBB/Kaywoodie.
Yesterday, I found a 4-digit super grain with the patent registration number on the "drinkless" stinger, threaded stem, no "KBB" on the shank, but solid cloverleaf on the side of the stem. I'm thinking it's from the late 1930s. I carefully sanded it to preserve the stampings. While the grain isn't especially "super", it's a great looking pipe and probably looks better than it did new. I'll be interested to see how well it smokes. I think it's the "slim billiard" shape, 5129.
I always love how the briar feels after I've taken off all the original finish. carefully sanded with micromesh all the way to 12000, and buffed with brown Tripoli, white diamond, and carnauba wax. It's like butter in your hands. So much nicer than the lacquered finish. I've found that with a lot of these older pipes, which were originally stained dark, you effectively get a contrast stain if you use a lighter stain for refinishing. Rub with some oil and finish with carnauba and, voila, beautiful grain.
Finally, I like your name, buroak. We had a GIGANTIC bur oak in front of our 125-yr-old farmhouse, which we moved from a few years ago. From the scars on the trunk, I'd say it had survived multiple lightning strikes over the years. Such a grand tree! I would've been heartsick to see it fall. When we moved, I planted some of the acorns from it in our new yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.