PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
pylorns, Kaywoodies can and do go for well over $200. You would never know it based on current Kaywoodie offerings, but those old 'woodies are fine pipes.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Generally Kaywoodie auction winning prices on ebay are down. But certain Kaywoodie lines and shapes consistently sell for higher prices.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
xrundog, I have noticed that, too. I wonder if it is a post-holiday slump, or the result of satisfied demand. All I know is the market now looks very different than it did a couple months ago.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I also mostly look for fixer-uppers. From what I have seen, most Kaywoodies and Grabows were smoked with codger tobacco and thus unlikely to be burnt out or riddled with heat fissures. There have been exceptions, but not many. The biggest problems are cut stingers and chewed stems.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Prices were never high on the more mundane Kaywoodies. But they have been pretty flat for a while now. Even a really nice Super Grain won't pull decent money. It's a buyer's market. The supply will run out eventually. I've decided to store the older Kaywoodie pipes I'm not smoking so the stems don't oxidize. They are too nice to sell for peanuts.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I wonder if the pricing situation has to do with the recent influx of some unsmoked or NOS Kaywoodies. Even those, though, have not been doing as well as they probably should. Some better grade and rare shapes in unsmoked condition have drawn very little money.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
samcoffeeman, I generally agree with your assessment. What is getting my attention, though, is the inability of even rare shape/rare line old Kaywoodies to bring a good price. Only Valitchka seems to be pulling it off reasonably well, and that is mostly down to name recognition and followers. What he got for an Export Flame Grain was quite impressive.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
The other thing that probably inhibits demand is many pipe smokers don't like stingers.
Perhaps. But that can go the other way, too. Collectors, as opposed to smokers only, likely want the stingers. As a constant Kaywoodie hunter I find it amazing that many listings do not mention or show the stinger. I know I have not bid on many a pipe just because I have found that if this datum is not posted it is likely the seller hasn't a clue. Too many times I have "asked a question" of the seller and then had to explain what a stinger is.

Over the past four or five years of Ebay cruising I see many KWs relisted several times, unsold for various reasons - stinger questions probably among them.

They are easy to cut off so that should not affect a bid if one wants a pipe. But they are impossible to put back on and once cut it's cut forever.
And then with Kaywoodies the style and dating of the stinger gets involved.
Lately I have been trying to replace my lost #7713...for less than $100.00. Good luck with that.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
All true Sam, all true. On the plus side though, one can put together a nice collection of old briar Kaywoodie pipes at an affordable price.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ newbroom, I did not communicate clearly. I did not say nicer in comparison to the pipe initially being discussed. Only trying to say that nice KW's are out there for not a lot of money. Not saying you can get a rare KW for cheap. But you certainly can make a nice little collection of KW's for reasonable prices.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Thank you for that table, I'm looking at a birth era pipe full bent for 1967, now I know either a 1D or H9 would also suit my needs.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
toby67, I am glad something good came out of this. Well, actually, two good things. The other is the free publicity received by the seller of this Kaywoodie churchwarden.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I've got several kaywoodies. Even have a 4 digit meerschaum lined with stinger intact that's immaculate. Got it for less than 20$ last year. Also have a white one that was unsmoked that I got with two others for 35$. After smoking it, I kind of wish I wouldn't have smoked it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
toby67, I am glad something good came out of this. Well, actually, two good things. The other is the free publicity received by the seller of this Kaywoodie churchwarden.
Well, our influence isn't that great, this one failed to make the top 1000 Watched Pipe Auctions list, so I can't tell you how many folks are watching it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
wlrountree, I have never seen a 4-digit meer-lined Kaywoodie. Could you show us some pictures?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
This may be the crazier Kaywoodie bidding:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381117153411?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Status
Not open for further replies.