PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Reviewer's note: I judge books by their covers and I do so with shameless and reckless abandon. That being said, I never would've purchased this tin of my own volition. I acquired it second-hand, after my buddy tried it said said, "This tastes like shit... You want it?" After such an endorsement, how could I decline?

Giving the tin a whiff, it put me in mind of a highly trafficked cattle barn. I knew that perique was known to exude such an aroma, so I attempted to set my initial judgments aside. After all, this is a highly rated offering, so far as the reviews on smokingpipes.com are concerned. So, I loaded half a bowl and figured what the hell.

At first, I was pleasantly surprised. The first few puffs were mild and agreeable. Grassy, with a piquant kick. Those downwind from me informed me that the odor was neither pungent nor appealing; just a general, "Yep, that's tobacco." For perhaps two whole minutes I felt like my initial judgment was unfounded. Maybe this blend was okay. Not great, not even good per se, but okay.

To its credit, once this crumble cake is lit, it takes nothing short of a New York City fire department to extinguish the flame, with a constant smoke so dense I'm apt to think of it as smog. In that regard, it's an all-day smoke... In theory.

Once the Kake hit its stride - about two minutes in - I found that my unsuspecting tongue was set upon with napoleonic fervor. Don't get me wrong... this wasn't tongue bite. The leaf was not moist, nor was the temperature unbearable. No, this sensation was akin to sipping on sulfuric acid like it was whiskey. Perhaps this is what the tin meant by "spicy?"

I kept smoking anyway and finally, after about two more minutes, the assault and battery acid sensation subsided and I was able to examine the blend's flavor profile with a keener sense of just what was transpiring in my mouth.

The acidity gave way to a saline rush, as though I'd downed a pound of Morton's iodized table salt. I've found that most blends involving perique maintain some saline aftertaste, but it's not generally so off-putting. After all, many of my absolute favorite blends feature perique for that reason - as a condiment, such sensations tie a blend together. This, however, was salty to an egregious level.

A great perique blends makes you feel as though you've been transported - if not teleported - down to the parishes of Louisiana. You can taste the complexity of the soil, the eccentricities of the fermentation, and you might feel as though the very act of smoking forms a quasi-spiritual connection between yourself and the rural farmer who lovingly crafted this special leaf. With Kajun Kake, you might've just licked the full workday's sweat right from the aforementioned farmer's balls.

Perhaps if you snagged a tin and aged it until it could petition for voting rights, this would be a splendid smoke. I highly recommend this tin to my bitterest enemies, but for everyone else... just buy Escudo.

Last edited:

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Reviewer's note: I judge books by their covers and I do so with shameless and reckless abandon. That being said, I never would've purchased this tin of my own volition. I acquired it second-hand, after my buddy tried it said said, "This tastes like shit... You want it?" After such an endorsement, how could I decline?

Giving the tin a whiff, it put me in mind of a highly trafficked cattle barn. I knew that perique was known to exude such an aroma, so I attempted to set my initial judgments aside. After all, this is a highly rated offering, so far as the reviews on smokingpipes.com are concerned. So, I loaded half a bowl and figured what the hell.

At first, I was pleasantly surprised. The first few puffs were mild and agreeable. Grassy, with a piquant kick. Those downwind from me informed me that the odor was neither pungent nor appealing; just a general, "Yep, that's tobacco." For perhaps two whole minutes I felt like my initial judgment was unfounded. Maybe this blend was okay. Not great, not even good per se, but okay.

To its credit, once this crumble cake is lit, it takes nothing short of a New York City fire department to extinguish the flame, with a constant smoke so dense I'm apt to think of it as smog. In that regard, it's an all-day smoke... In theory.

Once the Kake hit its stride - about two minutes in - I found that my unsuspecting tongue was set upon with napoleonic fervor. Don't get me wrong... this wasn't tongue bite. The leaf was not moist, nor was the temperature unbearable. No, this sensation was akin to sipping on sulfuric acid like it was whiskey. Perhaps this is what the tin meant by "spicy?"

I kept smoking anyway and finally, after about two more minutes, the assault and battery acid sensation subsided and I was able to examine the blend's flavor profile with a keener sense of just what was transpiring in my mouth.

The acidity gave way to a saline rush, as though I'd downed a pound of Morton's iodized table salt. I've found that most blends involving perique maintain some saline aftertaste, but it's not generally so off-putting. After all, many of my absolute favorite blends feature perique for that reason - as a condiment, such sensations tie a blend together. This, however, was salty to an egregious level.

A great perique blends makes you feel as though you've been transported - if not teleported - down to the parishes of Louisiana. You can taste the complexity of the soil, the eccentricities of the fermentation, and you might feel as though the very act of smoking forms a quasi-spiritual connection between yourself and the rural farmer who lovingly crafted this special leaf. With Kajun Kake, you might've just licked the full workday's sweat right from the aforementioned farmer's balls.

Perhaps if you snagged a tin and aged it until it could petition for voting rights, this would be a splendid smoke. I highly recommend this tin to my bitterest enemies, but for everyone else... just buy Escudo.
I have thought many times about snagging a tin of this blend for trial as I think it was CaneRod that was upselling it. Well, having now read your assessment, I may have to re-think that option. Very well written, quite entertaining and informative!

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I have thought many times about snagging a tin of this blend for trial as I think it was CaneRod that was upselling it. Well, having now read your assessment, I may have to re-think that option. Very well written, quite entertaining and informative!
Much appreciated! I leaned into the dislike in order to give it a little humor, but ultimately this blend is great for those who like aggressive - as opposed to smooth - perique. In my mind it's the difference between an aged bourbon vs a freshly run moonshine. Both have loyal customers but I'm always gonna pick aged and smooth due to personal preference.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
This has been mentioned before, but I belive it is a point worth making again.

Aging changes a blend, and where your preferences fall on that continuum from factory-fresh to 20+ years is a subjective thing.

I do like fresh Kajun Kake. I like it with a couple years on it as well.

I had the opportunity to get some 20 year old Kajun Kake, and for my tastes it had smoothed out too much.

Jesster109

Lurker
Dec 2, 2022
Illinois
I share some of these sentiments. I smoked a few bowls and had to set it aside. I remember getting kicked in the gut by this one. I have most of a brick in a jar, waiting for the last two years or so for me to get brave enough to try it again. I guess when I get home, I'll check the date on the label to see if I am ready to try again..........

Reactions: jbfrady

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Officially: smoked a tin some years ago and didn't like it. People around me disliked it as well.
Unofficially: it smelled and tasted like camel droppings, made everybody around me asking if something was rotting somewhere in the corner.

If CD was selling dried animal crap tins with a nice picture on it many would probably try it, including me. Just for the sake.