PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Well my package finally arrived today, kind of ironic because I called smokingpipes just an hour prior, wondering where my package was, as the USPS tracking said it was in Miami FL since Sept 30th. As I was on the phone, the mail man dropped it off!
I've been chasing that perfect blend, and want to start exploring some Va. Backstory; I was in Ireland and got some RYO Amber Leaf that is a golden Virginia. I absolutely loved it, and have been chasing for that same flavor, aroma and pleasure.
What i got:

Peterson's Perfect Plug 50g

Peterson's University Flake 50g

Wessex Golden Brick 100g

and another Brigham pipe tool to replace the exact one I lost.
I decided to fool around with some of the plugs, as it's my first time with a plug tobacco. I cut a few slices off each, a bit more off the Wessex so the rest can go in a jar to age for a bit.
I busted open the University Flake and was presented with a pleasant aroma of plum and rasins. I fully rubbed out 3/4 of a flake and set it under a lamp to dry out, as I like my tobacco (especially as almost a strict aromatic smoker) almost on the verge of crispy.
I decided "what better way to try a Peterson blend than in my Peterson System 314. Packed the bowl after the tobacco moisture was more to my liking, and headed out to the backyard.
My first char light went like clockwork. Tamp and repeat. After the second light, the tobacco stayed lit the entire bowl, only needing to tamp every so often, more than im used to actually. Nice white billowing smoke lead by a nice light plum/raisin flavor. The smoke stayed somewhat cool,but I was puffing like a mad man, on a barely broken in Pete. Flavor of the plum nearly deminished after 3/4 of the bowl, but leaving a nice tobacco flavor.
I was surprised the the tobacco burned all the way to the bottom, with very very little (if any, it's dark out) dottle. Being an aromatic smoker, I almost expect to have a decent amount of dottle if I don't let it dry enough, or puff too hard and frequently. But this tobacco definitely behaved itself.
As a cigarette smoker, I can't say the nicotine put me on my ass (I also just had a small meal), but it is definitely there, so light smokers be aware.
I can see why this blend is a favourite among the crowd. This will definitely be a regular in my rotation of smokes. Cant wait to try the others!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Great review. :puffy:
That's one thing I've noticed when ordering from the States through USPS. Once it clears wherever its last US stop is, it's pretty much in no mans land until it arrives in the mail from Canada Post. I always wait for that last tracking location, then hope for the best...

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Thank you!
I really like it, the casing is not too strong, so you get a good tobacco flavor as well.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'd like to hear an update on the Wessex Golden Brick if you don't mind.
I'm looking forward to hearing some opinions on that. It is the only mild-medium strength plug I've ever heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.