PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I don't want to talk you out of anything but I'll share my experience. Had I bought some cobs and carter hall or prince albert, it would have changed my entire learning curve. Instead I bought 3 pipes from a head shop as they were the only place that sold pipes or pipe tobacco, if that's what you want to call them, and one pipe's bowl just split in half in line with the stem. The second's bowl burnt out in about 3 weeks, and I just threw the third in the garbage when I bought my first real pipe from a local b&m when I moved to Savannah. Also smoked all that garbage tobacco and some of the b&m's house mixtures they were all goopy low end aromatics that tasted awful, smelled great and wouldn't stay lit. And don't even ask about starting a cake. That never happened. Then I bought a tin of opened and dry Nightcap (what's up with stores letting people open the tins and just put it back on the shelf), but it changed my smoking completely. Then, after reading some guys on here, i bought a MM cob and shared some prince albert with my papa (he rolled cigarettes out of it). First time I ever lit a pipe and smoked it to ash without relighting was that night. Though I don't particularly care for PA now, it was a huge confidence builder and I wonder just how much money I through away those first 2 and a half years that I smoked a pipe. Please don't let me persuade you to not purchase that very nice pipe if you know that you enjoy smoking, but are looking to buy your first pipe. However, if you're not sure if you are going to like it, but really want to try it, start where I wish i would have. And if you private message me your address, I'll send you some tobacco. I've probably got 25 jars of tobacco open ranging from aros to english and most that's in between.

Dec 28, 2015
That is a beautiful pipe and very reliable brand. You are getting started on the right track. As has already been said carter hall is a good starting point and you really can't go wrong with the dunhill blends mentioned either. Welcome aboard brother.

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
@embers thanks for the explanation. @wlrountree I really appreciate your testimony and will make sure to message you so I can acquire a few samples. I'm will no doubt purchase the Savinelli but in the meantime should I grab a cob pipe to get acquainted with smoking pipe tobacco?

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
I'm curious, I'm thinking I should order this in the meantime to get acquainted with a pipe: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipes/70792/missouri-meerschaum-diplomat/

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
medicfox -- I think that's a shrewd move. About 24 years ago, I started with a brace of cobs and it was a fantastic way to learn some techniques without practising on a more costly briar pipe. Others will corroborate this point, too: a cob is in no way an inferior smoke to others, so you won't be suffering from a lame smoking apparatus :puffy:

My advice would be to buy a forever stem for your cob.

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
thomasw I'm glad I'm heading in the right direction. The stems are gorgeous and I will be getting one of these to go with the cob pipe. I also wanted to say thank you to everyone for everything and for the knowledge passed onto me. A great community here indeed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would go with Missouri Meerscham's grab bag of seconds. They won't all be pretty, but that's a lot of cobs to practice with.
http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
So far I have some Carter Hall, Dunhill Early Morning, Nightcap. Anything else I should consider?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Can't believe that Mixture 79 hasn't been mentioned yet.
evil-toddler-meme-template.jpg

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
I plan to send Hearth and Home Berry Nice (fruit aromatic), Mac Baren Virginia No.1, Country Doctor Match (light engllish), C&D Bayou Morning (perique), Hearth and Home Classic Burley Kake, C&D Bayou Night (lots of perique) and for some flake I'll send Drew Estates Gatsby Flake and Mac Baren Dark Twist. These are not all going to be your cup of tea, now or ever. If you try some and you don't care for it, just stick it in a jar and let some time pass and come back to it. Your tastes may change. Then again, you may never like any of it. It will not hurt my feelings at all for that to be the case. Just trying to help get you pointed in the right direction. I keep my tobacco a little on the dry side, so it will seem kind of crunchy when you get it, but it smokes just fine.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Medicfox: The cob grab bag is a very good idea. So is the Savinelli. I own 19 Savs, and all are very good smokers. Throw out the filters. They inhibit the draw.
Your choices look good so far. I'd add Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend to the list. See my review here: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1125/sutliff-tobacco-company-edward-g-robinsons-pipe-blend#review51285

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
JimInks- I ordered the grab bag. I also ordered a tin of each of the following: Dunhill Early Morning and Nightcap, Carter Hall, McClelland Frog Morton's On the Town and Frog Morton's Cellar, and some HH Old Dark Fired. 6" Pipe BJ pipe cleaners, Czech Tool. I think I'm all set. I feel like I'm on the right track.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Welcome!

Nice pipe. You can't go wrong with a Sav IMO. That is also a great looking one.

+1 on the Mclellands Bulk. That's a great way to try a variety of quality tobaccos.

Enjoy

medicfox

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
fitzy- For sure I'll be ordering the Sav today, when I receive all of my items Ill upload a pic to show off my first haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.