Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 5, 2024
Smithville MO
I've smoked cigars off and on and have a nice humidor I snagged at an estate auction for a song. Pretty much filled with some fine sticks, but now the lure of the pipe has caught my attention in my retirement days. My father smoked cigars and pipes. I remember the sweet smell of his pipe and going to the Tacoma Mall with him while he shopped in the tabacco store there. Enough reminiscing. I picked up a Meerschaum cob last week and some of there Country Gentelman tobacco. I quite enjoy it, but I am looking forward to finding my go to tobacco. Any how I'm located in Smithville MO about 30 minute north of Kansas city. If anyone in The KC MO area can point me to a hood tobscconist shop I would appreciate it.
Looking forward to warmer mornings coffee and a pipe on the back patio, plus hanging out here and absorbing all the info I can. Thanks

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Steven,

Welcome. From Sydney, Oz
You're in for a fun journey of discovery - pipes and tobacco
There are a lot more flavours and nuances in pipe tobacco than cigars.
I wish you fun in your exploration of different genres of tobacco

TobaccoReviews can be a useful guide.
Just look up notes by our esteemed member @JimInks

Just avoid been bitten (too hard) by PAD and TAD

Reactions: JimInks

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome to the forum from KC!! You don't want get advice from a bunch of guys. That will drive you crazy. Find one guy who smokes a pipe that you can trust and him mentor you until you want someone else.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I started pipe smoking after I retired. I've learned that I enjoy the taste of tobacco and that a blend I find not so good today, or vice versa, may affect me differently the next time I smoke it.
I'm happy with various burleys and Virginias in various combination, and also enjoy perique and Latakia or even a mild topping on the tobacco as long as it isn't goopey.
I don't put store in one single blend, so that I'm not disappointed by its inevitable change or demise.
I have to travel too far to use a brick and mortar tobacconist.
Welcome, from Ocala, FL

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I don't know about trusting Kansas City as your source for pipes and pipe tobacco. Most such shops lean heavily toward cigars, with maybe one renegade on staff who mostly loves pipes.

Now here you will read those telling you that pipe tobacco has many more flavors than cigars, and they are 100% correct. However to use this as a reason to steer away from cigars ignores the fact that for a variety of reasons cigars also offer a premier smoking experience. They are both good; so good!

If you want advice I'd ask my questions here. Last week I asked a question about a pipe brand with which I have no experience. I got about 25 replies. So good!